Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwalston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2014, 02:39 PM
    Hot water recirculating pump vs inline tankless heater
    My home has three bathrooms about fifty feet from the water heater. I would like to have instant hot water in those baths, but am confused regarding what would be the best option. To save money and water I would be happy with a system I could control (on or off or timers). Not looking for a brand, but a solution.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 07:51 PM
    Not all tankless hot water heaters are suitable for circulation pump installation. Most of them that are will required Storage Tank installed under the heater. Price to install is high.

Those tankless hot water heaters that are suitable for pump installation, manufacturers are very specific as to what brand of pump to install and how it should be installed. However, with pump installed, they may lower their warranty by half.

NAVIEN is the only company today that I know of that makes Tankless hot water heater with built-in hot water circulation pump, small storage tank (built in) and buffer tank. All is nicely packed inside the water heater body.

To have instant hot water, you will need to install "return" line from the most distant bathroom and run it back to the heater. Depending on configuration of your house, it may require some extensive plumbing work.

Some claim that adding hot water circulation pump to your tankless heater defeats the purpose of tankless heater. Google it, read about it, judge for yourself.

Suggestion: since all of your bathrooms are located 50 feet away, why not install tankless heater behind that bathroom group to eliminate hot water delivery time.

Back to you / Milo
    cliffs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 10:36 PM
    I would install a hot water recirculation pump under the furthest sink. I am a distributor for the ACT D'mand Kontrols pump. It is activated by a button or a remote control. It works by pushing the cold water sitting in the hot water pipes back to the water heater through the existing cold water pipes and drawing the hot water from the heater. It works with both conventional and tankless water heaters and is the only one that does not void tankless water heater warranties because it is on-demand rather than on a timer or thermostat.

If you want to see them, go to my website at <site removed>.

If you have any questions, please contact me anytime.

Cliff

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grundfos hot water recirculating pump broken [ 28 Answers ]

We can hear the timer on our three year old Grundfos hot water recirculating pump humming. However, the motor itself is not turning. Two questions: 1. Can just the motor be replace, or must the entire pump be replaced? 2. We have had the pump plugged into a three prong grounded remote so...

Failed hot water recirculating pump? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a new propane water heater installed. At the time of the installation, the plumber told me that the recirculating pump was not working and that this would cause my gas bill to be high. I still have hot water immediately at every faucet in the house, so I question if the pump is bad....

Two hot water heaters vs recirculating pump [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2600 sq' house with 3 baths and nine people living in the home. I have a 50 gal hot water heater and need to decide to add another heater or a recirculating pump to boost my output. The home is all electric. What is the best way to go?

Hot Water recirculating pump [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy again, The hot water takes a long time to heat up due to the length of run from the water heater. So... Would installing a recirculating pump be a good idea? I have seen a type which connects the hot and cold and pushed the water from the hot side to the cold until it gets warm...

Tankless Water Heater and Recirculating Pump [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my water heater with a Bosch AquaStar 1600H NG (Natural Gas) tankless water heater. Our hot water system has a recirculating pump, and, according to Bosch, the Bosch AquaStar 1600H NG system ignites the burners when water is flowing. My question is, will the recirculating pump...

View more questions Search