Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrman2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2014, 04:00 PM
    Uninstall windows 8
    I just built a new computer and installed Windows 8 and update 8.1. But I find now that I don't like Windows 8 and want to get rid of Windows 8 and install Windows 7. Can I just reformat the disk or how do I delete Windows 8? I have no other programs installed yet.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 8, 2014, 04:05 PM
    Yes, format your drive and start over.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2014, 04:05 PM
    If you have a Windows 7 disk you can boot to it and install it as a fresh install.

If you configure Win 8 to boot to the desktop instead of the Start screen and get yourself a Start Menu replacement then it would be similar to Win 7.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 9, 2014, 11:51 AM
    Yes, before you go back to another OS, try Scottgems idea. Since the 8.1 update you can configure Win 8 to open to the desktop instead of the oft confusing Metro GUI. There are a few good start menu replacements and some are even free like the classic shell (open source). Just search for "start menu replacements for Win 8" and look at the reviews for the free versions to see what others prefer and why. Look here: List of Start Menu replacements for Windows 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2014, 12:40 PM
    Use Classic Shell. It's free, I use use for all my tech support clients that hate the default Win 8 interface.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2014, 07:45 PM
    Thanks much for your answers, I think I will take Scottgem's advice and stay with Windows 8, for the time being, anyway. Thanks again, I really appreciate all your advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2014, 06:38 AM
    Glad to assist

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstall windows 98 [ 1 Answers ]

I have old laptop - want to start using it for internet - I need to uninstall Windows 98 and upgrade to window 98se - I have a full disk for 98se - but first I need to uninstall reg. 98 how do I do this. {Moved from Forum Help-<>}

Uninstall windows xp [ 4 Answers ]

I was trying to upgrade my windows 98 with windows xp but instead of upgrade I got a whole new windows xp program. Now the systems telling me I have little disk space and to delete unused files but, when I try this it tells me I don't have enough disk space to perform the task. SOMEONE OUT THERE...

Uninstall windows [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've a windows ME, so is it possible that I can uninstall the windows ME without using a CD? If you know how, send me an e-mail message.

How do I uninstall windows [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Can you tell me how to uninstall windows 98, as I am trying to upgrade to windows 98 SE but when I load it on to p.c without unistalling windows98 I can't connect to internet , when I try to connect it keeps coming up this program has caused an illeegal operation and will be shut down. So...

View more questions Search