Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    henrylovesrinda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2014, 12:23 PM
    Gated community living for my parents and I will be charged to go visit them
    My parents, in their 80's, live in a gated retirement community park, we want to go visit them, my husband I are 60 years old, but we have just been informed that if we stay longer than 72 hours, we would have to pay $20.00 a day per person for each day we are there. They live in Arizona and we live in North Dakota. My Mother has some health issues and I was going o go down there to assist her for a month, but we can't afford those rates. Yes they said family is charged too, as in meaning us as her 60 year old children. Even if we were caring for her.

Is this the norm, when people own their own home in these gated communities, and now that my Mother is elderly and I have to pay to visit her?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 8, 2014, 12:45 PM
    Yes, it's within the norm, and it's legal. Extra residents cost the whole community in outside spaces, parking, water, sewage, trash removal, pools and tennis courts and other sports or common areas.
    It may be time for them to move nearby. I would visit alone, and pay just the 20/day for about 10 days, while you sort out other options. Maybe you could arrange a 'house sit' in another unit in the park or something.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2014, 01:17 PM
    I wouldn't necessarily say it's the norm, but its certainly not unusual. Many of these senior communities try to limit costs and long term guests do increase use of resources over plan. Frankly, $20/day is not a huge amount and a hotel will cost you much more than that.

But the biggest point is your parents agree to these restrictions when they purchased their home in the park.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2014, 09:34 PM
    I agree, while perhaps most do not have such rules, it is common for others.

Assuming ages, if one is going to live there long term, to have them added to the deed and become a residence there also. But if parents are going to need more closer care, perhaps time for a new home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother has Alzheimer's and is living with my wicked sister. Can I visit? [ 3 Answers ]

Three years ago my mother told me during one of her visits how much my sister who she was forced to live with, was spending on her Am Ex and other credit cards. My sister also expects her to pay tuition for private school, lessons, her rent, utilities and other living expense to the tune of over...

How do I get his parents away during this visit? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend is at basic... I get to go see him when he graduates, and I'd really like to make love to him, but his parents are going too... how would I be able to get them away from him so we could have some alone time?

Automatic cut-off for pumps at a community living facility [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, We have a residential development with 22 independent villas. Each villa is provided with an underground tank with float arrangement for water storage. A 2 1/2 " ring main (a loop) runs in the entire plot, from which the connection to each underground tank has been tapped-off. The...

Tax refunds on parents visit [ 4 Answers ]

My parents on their 1st visit were with me from August 2006 to Feb 2007 (6months) , and on their 2nd visit they are with me from Spetmber 2008 and will be leaving on June 2009 (I got the required approved extension). On both occasions I have been supporting them for alll expenses. Please let me...

View more questions Search