Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2013, 07:26 PM
    Not sure to go on birth control since I broke up with boyfriend what you think?
    I wanted to go on birth control but I broke up with my boyfriend so I'm not sure. I just got a prescription from my dr just in case I change my mind. What you think? Should I still go on them?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2013, 09:03 PM
    The doctor did tell you the pill isn't effective until your really been on it for at least a full monthly cycle?

You can't just up and decide one day to start taking it and expect it to work right away. Also even if you DO its still not 100% effective... so use condoms also.

Also understand using multiple forms of birth control at once is no guarantee. We have several long time members here that got pregnant while using several forms at once... one of them did more than once. So don't treat sex casually... there is always a risk... what changes is how much of a risk it is.

Dec 19, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Oh wow some of this I didn't know. I mean I am aware that no birth control is 100% protected but I just hope I don't get an unwanted pregnancy at the wrong time or with the wrong person.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 19, 2013, 08:24 AM
    Let me give you an example. I was on the birth control pills. Took them perfectly as directed. Used a condom every time as well. Got pregnant not once, but twice, 9 months apart.

Next, 6 years later I was told I couldn't have children because I was not ovulating. I was in early menopause. My daughter is now 20.

Last. I had cancer. Went through 6 months of chemotherapy and was told that the particular form of chemo I took would make me sterile.

My son is 11 1/2 now.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2013, 08:33 AM
    If you would be on the pill you take every day... its really not effective until you start on the second month. And again only iff you take it as you should.

Also as I am sure you are already aware... the pill doesn't provide any protection against STD's... and a lot of people have them you would never suspect... there is Herpes you would have for the rest of your life... and there is HPV, which up to 28% of the sexually active young people have that can cause cervical cancer... and all the other well known ones as well.

Also know that natural skin condoms provide no protection at all against STD's. The other types do provide a measure of protection... none foolproof and varies with proper use.

Always best to be fully aware of everything that could happen... so you can take the proper precautions and make an informed decision of your own..

Never make assumptions of others... they may lie about being STD free... or they might not be aware they have it. There are not always easily visible symptoms. And telling lies or being deceptive about previous sexual encounters is very common. A young guy will say anything he thinks you want to hear to get you in bed....and I'm a guy thats telling you this....its been a long time since I was a young guy...but some things really never change. Men and women view sex very differently on average The more you know about everything the better off you are.
    I've seen a lot of young womens lives ruined by the wrong sort of guy when they didn't know as much as they should have beforehand, .....I've always been right to the point type of person....so if I can help just one person make the right choices....I feel It's been worth the effort.

Dec 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
    Great answers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

On birth control but condom broke [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently on Birth Control and anitbiotics. I was having sex with my boyfriend on Sunday and the condom broke Im worried about getting pregnant. Should I get the morning after pill. Or should I be OK because my period is due Thursday.

Birth defects caused by birth control? [ 2 Answers ]

I start taking the birth control that call I.U.D that last for five years, in February of last year while I was on it (I.U.D )two months later I found out that I was pregnant! 9 months later had my later had my little princess, comes to fine out her left hand & fingers had not grown out at all if...

I have never been on any type of birth control. My boyfriend and I have had sex unpro [ 3 Answers ]

I have never been on any type of birth control. My boyfriend and I have had sex unprotected for 3 years and I have not gotten pregnant. I get my period every month and never skipped but now I am getting my period twice a month. I only get 14 days between the 2. This has been going on for the past...

Birth defects caused by birth control? [ 1 Answers ]

I was taking birth control pills then went to switch my birth control to the implanon that is inserted in your arm about a week ago, yesterday I learned I was pregneat, is there a chance of birth defects?

Taken off birth control, possibly conceived, back on birth control? [ 9 Answers ]

So, the day my period ended I ended up having unprotected sex, and a week later started feeling really sick to my stomach, I could smell everything, I had horrible headaches, I couldn't find anything I wanted to eat, I was moody all the time, all the typical signs, except no missed period. I took a...

View more questions Search