Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JVC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Triq, diameter of circles about a circle
    How do I determine the minimum outside diameter of a group of 7 wires of .150 OD that are arranged in a circle and touching each other around a center core.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2007, 10:49 AM
    I would think it would be 0.45
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 10:55 AM

Proved as the smallest possible packing of 7 circles into a larger circle, by Graham in 1968.

If the interior circles have d=1 then total d = 3 (as can obviouslyt be seen)

It gets much more interesting above 7 :)
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Erich's Packing Center

Ridiculously interesting site.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JVC
    Thanks for the help but I meant 7 wires in a circle around a central wire, so 8 wires in total
    Jvc! Always better if you reply here! :)

If you had looked at the website I stated, it gives the answer:

d = 3.304*.15 = ~0.5 (0.4965)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sink drain diameter, other issues [ 1 Answers ]

We just put in a new sink drain and try as we might, it doesn't seem to be housed in there correctly. We are having a difficult time getting it seated level, and there is a gap (which my husband filled with putty). The gap is nearly 1/8" all around, not flush like the other (original) side. The...

Drain diameter ?: sink vs toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Tom, I'm planning on moving my toilet from one side of my bathroom to the other. I plan to tap into an existing drain for a bathroom sink (the sink will be moved elsewhere). I'm not sure about the compatibility of the drain pipe diameters, so I guess that's the first question. If they are not...

Reducing diameter of a vent stack [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a shower stall in my house and found that the 3" PVC vent stack in the wall protrudes slightly beyond the studs and is in the way of where the new pre-cast shower pan will sit. I could solve the problem by using 3" to 2" reducers to narrow the vent stack pipe to 2" dia. For about 3...

Trap Diameter requirements [ 5 Answers ]

Tom, I had asked some questions previously for roughing in plumbing for a basement. I have a few more questions for you. 1) Does code require the trap to be the same diameter as the trap/waste arm? For my wetbar I ran a 2" horizontal waste line to where it is roughed at of the wall. Does...

Pipe diameter = poor water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment has low pressure, especially in the shower. It's a loft building in NYC and my unit was renovated in 1985. Others in the building claim to have no issues with pressure. I'm re-doing one bath and the walls have been removed. While the pipes running to the shower area are large, the...

View more questions Search