Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meichelle24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Skinny nursing cat
    My cat had kittens exactly 4 weeks ago yesterday. All of the 4 kittens seem to be very healthy, nursing fine, growing like bad weeds and are very well cared for by the Mama kitty hehe..

My question though is about the Mama cat.. She seems so skinny now! You can feel nearly every bone in her body. Ive been feeding her regular canned cat food two to three times a day but I just found out that she should be eatting kitten food today, so I've started her on it just this afternoon. Maybe a big "duh" on my part, but its been forever since I've been around a pregnant and now nursing cat. Also, what she'll do is nibble at the food.. leave it, come back to it a little later, nibble on it a little more etc etc until its gone. But she's always done that.

Mama kitty's other habits seem to be just fine as well, (litter, water) but I'm very concerned about her weight, is it normal for a new Mama cat to be so thin?

Also, though we adore the kittens, we would like to get Mama kitty spayed as soon as possible, any suggestions on this as well? I know we need to wait until she weens the kittens, but how soon after that?

Thank you,

Meichelle24
    catablanca Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meichelle24
    My cat had kittens exactly 4 weeks ago yesterday. All of the 4 kittens seem to be very healthy, nursing fine, growing like bad weeds and are very well cared for by the Mama kitty hehe..

My question though is about the Mama cat.. She seems so skinny now!! You can feel nearly every bone in her body. Ive been feeding her regular canned cat food two to three times a day but I just found out that she should be eatting kitten food today, so I've started her on it just this afternoon. Maybe a big "duh" on my part, but its been forever since I've been around a pregnant and now nursing cat. Also, what she'll do is nibble at the food.. leave it, come back to it a little later, nibble on it a little more etc etc until its gone. But she's always done that.

Mama kitty's other habits seem to be just fine as well, (litter, water) but I'm very concerned about her weight, is it normal for a new Mama cat to be so thin??

Also, though we adore the kittens, we would like to get Mama kitty spayed as soon as possible, any suggestions on this as well?? I know we need to wait until she weens the kittens, but how soon after that??

Thank you,

Meichelle24
    Have you tried giving the mum some kitten or cat milk ( make sure it's the cat milk).
    I was in the same situation & that's what I did & after a few weeks I gave the kittens some cat
    Milk to wean them off.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Meiche, bring mama cat in to the vet for a health check. Your vet will tell you exactly what you need to be feeding her now and how much. He/she will also tell you when it will be safe to spay her and how much it will cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help my cat is really skinny! [ 5 Answers ]

Please help my cat had ran away for about a month and now does not eat anything or want to drink water. I been giving her wet food mashed up in a squirt bottle to try and get her some nutrition. She even spits that out but I'm sure she gets a little of it. Does anyone know what I should feed her or...

Nursing cat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat has been nursing 5 weeks. The kittens are now gone. The cats nipples are still producing and are very swollen. Is this normal and if so when will this subside. Is there anything I should be aware of?

Nursing cat with worms [ 2 Answers ]

My cat gave birth 26 days ago. We knew she had worms before the birth and now she is so very thin and nursing. She eats an awful lot and is in the litter box constantly. I have found no round worms in the feces but she does throw them up. When can I worm her? Shouldn't I worm the kittens as...

What to give a nursing cat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a nursing unhealthy cat what can I give her to help her thought :'(

View more questions Search