Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chin19 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2013, 03:50 PM
    [Computer Engineering ] Need help understanding logic gates and how to make them?
    I have a logic gate assignment due on Friday and I really have trouble understanding designing the logic circuit, drawing the logic diagram of the gate design, drawing the circuit diagram, boolean expressions, truth tables, and building the logic gate circuit. I have no clue on how to do logic gates and I need urgent help before I fail. I would like to know exactly how to exactly read and wire the actual breadboard. Pictures would be nice.

NOTE: I am only in grade 10 and this is very simple logic gate experiments, so nothing too fancy or hard.

Equipment that I have: Switch, AND gate, OR gate, NOT gate, wires, small breadboard, LEDs and brown and green resistors.

Questions:

1) Design a 5 gate circuit using each of the AND, OR, NOT at least once and with at least 3 different inputs.
    2) Draw a Logic diagram of the gate design (eg. A, B, C, D, W, X, Y, Z )
    3) Draw a circuit diagram including the gates, power, switch, resistors, LED’s etc. (colour code each new connection) using the proper symbols
    4) Create a Boolean Expression
    5) Make detailed truth table (eg. A, B, C, D, W, X, Y, Z ).
    6) Produce your designed logic circuit using all the wiring and circuit rules discussed in class

This is how he will mark us:
    Marking
    1) Design a 5 gate circuit using each of the AND, OR, NOT at least once /1
    2) Logic diagram is neat, clear, and accurate /1
    3) Circuit diagram includes proper symbols and all components /2
    4) Boolean Expression is correct /1
    5) Detailed and correct truth table (eg. A, B, C, D, W, X, Y, Z ) /2
    6) Produced logic circuit using all the wiring and circuit rules discussed in class
    a. Colour coded wiring /2
    b. Neat, clean wiring /2
    c. Correct wiring (no cross overs) /2
    d. Placement of LED to indicate key inputs/outputs /2
    e. Works correctly on first try at test /2
    Total /17

Once again, nothing too hard as I am only in grade 10. Pictures would be extremely helpful. Also, I need help reading logic diagrams and actually putting on a legit breadboard.

Please simplify on how to do logic gate circuits please. I am really, really lost in class and I have no clue how to do logic gates. Please help :(
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2013, 05:26 PM
    How long have you had this? You want US to do all this for you tonight? If you need "colour" it's already Friday there.

Oct 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
    I just got this project yesterday, but I posted my questions on some other site. It would be really appreciated if you would. I don't know how much I could thank you because this is one assignment that I am so stumped on. It's 8:30 PM here so there is still a lot of time left.

Just please respond to this message if you see this as I would like to stay informed with you.

Thank you, thank you, thanks you much if you do it. Much appreciated.

Oct 24, 2013, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    How long have you had this? You want US to do all this for you tonight? If you need "colour" it's already Friday there.
    Sorry to bother you, but I just want to check if you are there because I am really starting to panic now as time is slipping by.

Thanks

Oct 24, 2013, 07:12 PM
    Hello? I am really starting to panic now. Please respond as you are my only hope.

Oct 24, 2013, 07:53 PM
    I just got this project yesterday, but I posted my questions on some other site. It would be really appreciated if you would. I don't know how much I could thank you because this is one assignment that I am so stumped on. It's 8:30 PM here so there is still a lot of time left.

Just please respond to this message if you see this as I would like to stay informed with you.

Thank you, thank you, thanks you much if you do it. Much appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2013, 01:23 PM
    We do not do your homework for you. We may critique your work but we aren't going to do it for you.

Oct 25, 2013, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    We do not do your homework for you. We may critique your work but we aren't going to do it for you.
    I have created my logic diagram, but I need someone to check if it is all right.
    imgur: the simple image sharer

I just need some help on how to read and actually wire the breadboard. Any website/programs would be helpful.

Oct 25, 2013, 07:09 PM
    [Computer Engineering ] Need help understanding logic gates and how to make them?
    Hello,

For my assignment I must create a custom designed electronic logic circuit. I also need help on how to wire it on a breadboard. I do not understand how to put your diagram onto the breadboard.

Note: I am only in grade 10, so nothing to fancy.

The questions are:

1) Design a 5 gate circuit using each of the AND, OR, NOT at least once and with at least 3 different inputs.
    2) Draw a Logic diagram of the gate design (eg. A, B, C, D, W, X, Y, Z )
    3) Draw a circuit diagram including the gates, power, switch, resistors, LED’s etc. (colour code each new connection) using the proper symbols
    4) Create a Boolean Expression
    5) Make detailed truth table (eg. A, B, C, D, W, X, Y, Z ).
    6) Produce your designed logic circuit using all the wiring and circuit rules discussed in class

So I have completed my logic diagram:

My truth table:

Now I have trouble determining the boolean expression, making the circuit diagram and physically making the logic gate. Wiring/building it is what I have trouble on the most. I don't know where to place the wires, resistors, LEDs, etc.

Is the truth table correct? If so, how would you wire it? Pictures would be extremely appreciated. Or if there is any website/program that can teach me exactly how to wire logic diagrams onto a breadboard.

Items: Wires, LEDs, breadboard, Switch, AND gate, OR gate, NOT gate, green and brown resistors.

I also need help on the

Thanks
    Celine91 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Oct 26, 2013, 07:39 AM
    -logic diagram is your choice, its correct as long as you satisfy the conditions (use AND, OR, NOR at least once, and at least three different inputs). so yes its correct according to the specifications (but you could have made a much simpler one!)
    - I did not check every column of your truth table, you're not supposed to have mistakes there, except that the final expression is not correct! (NOR is not applied to each bracket but to the whole expression), you're supposed to get:

NOTE: you can do the truth table on the simplified expression (not the complicated one!)

- Wiring and building the circuit diagram using the items you specified refer to this: Electronic Circuits For Beginners: Logic Gates

Oct 26, 2013, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine91 View Post
    -logic diagram is your choice, its correct as long as you satisfy the conditions (use AND, OR, NOR at least once, and at least three different inputs). so yes its correct according to the specifications (but you could have made a much simpler one!)
    - I did not check every column of your truth table, you're not supposed to have mistakes there, except that the final expression is not correct! (NOR is not applied to each bracket but to the whole expression), you're supposed to get:

NOTE: you can do the truth table on the simplified expression (not the complicated one!)

- Wiring and building the circuit diagram using the items you specified refer to this: Electronic Circuits For Beginners: Logic Gates
    Ok, so I've changed the last part of my truth table

Truth Table: imgur: the simple image sharer

Boolean Expression: AB + CD

Looking at the website you sent me, I still do not understand how to do the circuit diagram because we do not use transistors. I do not know where to put LEDs, resistors, etc.

I am still lost on how to physically make the logic gate on a breadboard with wires, LEDs, resistors, switch, etc.

Oct 26, 2013, 01:03 PM
    You use transistors to design logic gates, given the gates, what is it that you don't understand?

if you don't know where to place the components:
    LEDs and current limiting resistors should be placed at the output of each logic gate. (LEDs to indicate the behavior of the Boolean expression, output resistors for LEDs not to break) also input resistor should be used for digital circuit not to break.
    The switch between voltage source and ground, when switch open the input voltage is low (0 Volts) and when switch closed input is high. (switches will be applied to input of logic gates)

This pdf should help you understand: [http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~siddharth/EE...ogicGates.pdf]

if you still don't get it, then ask your teacher, you should not be the only one with questions about the homework! Good luck

Oct 26, 2013, 01:20 PM
    You use transistors to design logic gates, given the gates, what is it that you don't understand?

if you don't know where to place the components:
    LEDs and current limiting resistors should be placed at the output of each logic gate. (LEDs to indicate the behavior of the Boolean expression, output resistors for LEDs not to break) also input resistor should be used for digital circuit not to break.
    The switch between voltage source and ground, when switch open the input voltage is low (0 Volts) and when switch closed input is high. (switches will be applied to input of logic gates)

This pdf should help you understand: [http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~siddharth/EE...ogicGates.pdf]

if you still don't get it, then ask your teacher, you should not be the only one with questions about the homework! Good luck
    I don't know why I have such hard time. My teacher never showed us how to physically make it on a breadboard. I guess I'm just confused about putting all 3 gates on 1 breadboard.

Here's what I got so far.

Breadboard: imgur: the simple image sharer

First chip is AND, then NOT, then OR. (Left to right)

What would you suggest I do next?

Oct 26, 2013, 01:56 PM
    [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynxg19lEkvg]
    Breadboards and Logic

this should be detailed now! anything else ask your teacher :)

good luck again.

Oct 26, 2013, 04:26 PM
    [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynxg19lEkvg]
    Breadboards and Logic

this should be detailed now! anything else ask your teacher :)

good luck again.
    Oh OK this helps a lot.

Ill check back with you later when I am finished.

This is what I have so far: imgur: the simple image sharer

Gates from left to right: OR, AND, NOT

Is this OK? I am not sure where to go next.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical engineering-Logic Gates [ 1 Answers ]

Design a circuit with four single-bit inputs X, Y, T, and Z, but only one single-bit output E. A two bit control code word S0S1 selects which of the four inputs is propagated to the output (the selection code is not unique). Your answer should be in the form of a circuit diagram and table showing...

I am doing diploma in computer what other course other than engineering I can do? [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing diploma in computer ,after that which course can I do other than B.E ?

Computer engineering project [ 3 Answers ]

* * * * * Hi to all, I'm new here and I want to ask... :confused: does anyone have a good idea for a computer Engineering project especially in hardware or networking?? Thanks... :)

Computer Engineering [ 4 Answers ]

Hi,Can anyone introduce a site like askmehelpdesk that it is for computer Engineering?

View more questions Search