Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ihharvestor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
    Sum
    Find the sum of 3 positive integers whose product is 144, if the sum of their squares is 149.
    Celine91 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Oct 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
    you can simply solve this with 'trial and error', but I am not sure this is the kind of answer you are looking for...
    I would think of factoring 144 as a first step
    2*72
    3*48
    4*36
    6*24
    8*18
    9*16
    12*12

(5,7,10,11 are not considered because 144 divided by any of them gives decimal number not integer )

second step would be to factor each of the above options into three values and use trial and error to check which satisfies the second condition (sum of their squares is 149)

e.g:
    2*8*9
    3*8*6
    after checking you will find out that 9*16 (9*8*2) satisfies the second condition also (9^2 + 8^2 + 2^2 = 149)

now back to the question ( sum of the integers )

Answer = 9+8+2 = 19

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 sum? [ 11 Answers ]

How do I convince my girlfriend it's a good idea to have a 3 sum with her best friend, me and her best friend are down we just have to bring it up with her. I am 23 and they are both 22.

What colour is my skin sum say I'm light sum say I'm dark [ 1 Answers ]

I know of a girl who is about my colour but da diff is peeps call her light skinned and me non light I think I'm a caramel what do you think ...

How do you get over sum 1? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 17 and I've had 3 boyfriends in my entire life except for one when I was in pre-school but I don't think that counts lol.. well my 1st boyfriend I was with for 8 months then we broke up for 5 months and during that time I went out with my moms friends son. Him and I went out for a month but I...

I need sum help [ 7 Answers ]

Okay, I'm 15 years old, and I started dating this 19 year old about a week ago. Well we decided to go to the movies with a couple friends yesterday. Well when we went we got really close. I ended up giving him a blow job and stuff, and it was my first time ever doing anything but making out.. I...

View more questions Search