Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rik67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2013, 07:46 AM
    Verbal sales agreement pull out...
    I had a 7 yr verbal sales agreement in PA. I paid taxes twice yearly, and spent 6, 000 on siding etc. With two months left the land lord says I've been renting unless I come up with a large down payment... I wrote "mortgage payment" on checks I used each month ro pay what I thought was a mortgage. What rights do I have? Can I get my expenses back or do the cancelled checks prove intent?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 08:02 AM
    You seriously need a real estate attorney and perhaps attempt to put a lien on the home.

The first issue is that many states do not recognize a verbal sales agreement on property, Most require all real estate says to be in written form, and contain certain requirements.

It is possible that without written proof, there is little you can do. You do not have a mortgage document to prove payment to, the other side can just say, even if it was,the price is now twice as much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2013, 08:06 AM
    Why would you risk your home on a verbal agreement? As noted, even writing mortgae payment on the checks is unlikely to be considered proof of anything. A mortgage is a recorded note.

Unless you can show in court that you had a sales agreement you are a renter.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Oct 12, 2013, 08:17 AM
    Pennsylvania has codified the "statute of frauds" at 33 P.S. Sec. 1. Basically, this statute requires that all conveyances of an interest in property, must be in the form of a signed writing in order to be enforceable in a court of law. As a result, a verbal agreement for the sale of property is unenforceable.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Hello rik,
    the land lord says I've been renting unless I come up with a large down payment..
    As you've discovered, you need something in WRITING... Well, maybe your landlord doesn't know the law any better than you do, so maybe you can GET him to write something.

Tell him that you have a LARGE down payment to give him, but can't give it to him UNLESS he puts the deal in writing. If he does, take that to an attorney, and you've bought yourself a house...

Oh, about that "large" down payment you promised.. It WAS a verbal promise after all. Once he ADMITS in writing that there was a deal, the ORIGINAL terms of that deal WILL apply, whatever they were.

Excon
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Even though agreements for the sale of real estate are required to be in writing to be enforceable, very often a court will find a verbal agreement enforceable on a different basis, such as the fact that you made substantial improvements to the property based on that verbal agreement. So get yourself a real estate attorney immediately to see if you have a case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal Agreement [ 5 Answers ]

I was separated from my husband and we decided to get back together so I moved in a house he was renting it did not work out so I moved out the landlord was aware that I was living there I decided it was not working out so I moved out. One day the landlord came to my job and asked me for my...

Verbal agreement [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a vehicle in my name for his daughter. It was registered & insured my name. She needed transportation to get back and forth to work. The verbal agreement was that as long as she lived with us she can use the car, once the car is paid off it will be transferred to her. ...

I just moved out of a house that I was renting. There was no lease in writing, only a verbal agreement. Now my landlord is is giving me the run around when I ask for my security deposit. Is this against the law or am I screwed because I don't have anything on paper?

Verbal agreement [ 4 Answers ]

A man posted a help wanted sign for a truck driver I answered the notice he said he would hire me and that I would be his driver the runs have already started and he has been having his dad run them so that he doesn't have to pay anyone so now I am out the money I wouldve made is this legal...

In May 2007, I moved out of my former mother in law's house, I had lived there since August of 2006. She and I had a verbal agreement for me to pay approximately $800 per month in rent. Due to my divorce from her daughter and trying pay off her daughters bills, I was unable to pay rent and bounced...

View more questions Search