Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    demetria1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2013, 08:26 PM
    Unsecured Credit Card Debt
    My Mother is 78 years old and receives Social Security Check and a government pension from her husband's debt. She recently signed a received a summons to appear in court for a unsecured credit card debt, I don't know how to help her because she can't afford to pay it and she has been incapicitated and can't walk very far. I don't know what to do can you help me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 01:45 AM
    Can you pay the debt for her ? Are you helping her with the budget, did you know she was adding up this credit card debt ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2013, 05:21 AM
    She is, essentially, judgment proof. Have her send a response to the court that she disputes this debt and wants a hearing to defend against it. Send a copy of that to the creditor with a request for proof of the debt.

The likelihood is the creditor won't show for the hearing and she can get the suit dismissed. But even if they do show and they win. She has no assets that can be attached.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights of unsecured debitors - credit card debt [ 15 Answers ]

Can a credit card company which has serverd me a final judgement put a lien on my house or issue a writ of execution on anything I own (sell anything in my house, or sell my house or car)? :o I live in Florida, so I need current Florida laws only. Are there any attorneys out there that are...

Arbitration summons for unsecured credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have fallen behind in payments on myvisa. The account has been sold to a third party and have now tacked on double the amount owed. I have received a summons for arbitration, but have not hired an attorney. What are my options or at best, what can they do to me? (other than keep reporting it to...

Can wages be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am six months behind in my credit card payments. I own nothing and have no saved money-due to unfortunate circumstances over the past year. I am being threatened by an attorney's office that I will be sued and my-poor, pitiful-wages will be garnished. Does any one know if this is true?

View more questions Search