Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AFguy Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
    98 Explorer (automatic) won't go in first gear
    Be easy on me, I'm a little mechanically challenged. I recently bought a 98 Explorer 4X4, automatic, and am now having problems with it not wanting to go into first gear. I drove it up to Maryland and thought it might have something to do with the cold weather, but the weather is warming up and I have the same problem. Basically, when I first start the car, I'll put it in 1st (column automatic shifter) to try to 'force' it into 1st and it still starts in second gear. Even when I leave it in D, it still starts in second, but once it gets to about 20mph, it'll suddenly shift into 1st, back into 2nd, then find its way into 3rd. It wasn't doing this until recently, so I'm not sure what set it off. It seems after I've driven for awhile (not just a warm engine, but have been driving for an hour straight), then it'll sometimes go into 1st when I come to a stop. I just had the transmission fluid checked and was told everything looked good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 06:59 PM
    It's important to drop and clean the pan, plus change the fluid (Mercon V) and filter every 30,000 miles on Fords. If it hasn't been done regularly, varnish and dirt may be affecting, for instance, the 1-2 shift valve in the main valve body. Based on your assessment of the transmission, mileage on the vehicle, and maintenance performed, you may want to look into Auto-Rxing your transmission. Keep in mind that most Ford ATXs are designed to go approximately 150,000 miles before being rebuilt, even if regular maintenance has been performed. If you're close to this milage, you may want to get it rebuilt instead.

Mar 29, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Thanks for the insight. I really made sure I paid attention to it today and the goofy thing is starting in 3rd gear, not 2nd, and when it hits 24mph, it shifts to 2nd, back to 3rd, then into 4th at about 35. I honestly don't know anything about the maintenance history except that it had one owner prior to it being traded in and it had 127K on it when I bought it. I did get it for under blue book and it's in really good condition (interior is great, exterior is really, really good, the hood won't stay up but I don't know how to do any maintenance on it anyway so it doesn't affect me much, and it needs new shocks in the front (and I'm assuming a new CV on the front driver's side because I'm starting to hear that clicking sound when I make turns)). So it has it's aches and pains, but has been pretty good overall until this transmission problem started happening. I can't really afford a transmission rebuild, as it is the quote I had for a tune-up is $160. Is there anything I can do for the transmission on the interim that is inexpensive and fairly simple? I really appreciate your advice.
    Forgive me, but I don't know what 'Auto-Rxing' is.

RJ
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Here's where you can read about Auto-Rx:

Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner

It's a well-respected product.

Mar 30, 2007, 08:00 PM
    I really appreciate all of your advice. I followed the link you provided and read up on the product. It definitely sounds great. I further researched on that link and saw the instructions (add 6 oz to the transmission fluid, drive 1000 miles, drain the fluid using the T-TEC method). Is there a company (firestone, etc) that can drain the fluid using this method? I'm not very good at hands-on stuff and don't want to screw anything up. Honestly, I don't even know how to add to the transmission fluid... I wouldn't know where the transmission fluid is added... is that in the engine compartment or do I need to get under the truck? Yep, I'm pretty useless with this stuff. Also, if the fluid has to be drained using the T-TEC method, would I be correct in assuming that someone would need to refill the transmission with new transmission fluid, or should the fluid be recycled back into the transmission? I'm sorry to keep asking questions, but I really do appreciate all of your help.

RJ
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Don't use the T-Tech machine. You want to drop and clean the pan, change the transmission filter, and fill with Mercon V. The problem with the T-Tech machine is that they don't drop and clean the pan or install a new filter. The machine stirs up all of the crud on the bottom of the pan, clogs the filter, and the transmission fails. Take it to Ford or someone you trust and have them do it properly. They will discard the old fluid.

Look for a yellow dipstick, between the engine and the firewall. You use a transmission fluid funnel to add ATF and Auto-Rx.

Apr 2, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. I'll see what I can do about ordering some of the Auto RX and getting it into the engine, then take it from there (in about 1000 miles!).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manual Gear [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for someone who teach the Manual gear.. or anyone have a speaial ways to learn it, please also leave me message, thks.

Gear shift cables? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 chevy caviler the gear shift cables broke I have found some but they are 150.00 any where cheaper than this?

Automatic gear problem [ 1 Answers ]

When my Daewoo Nubira gets warm the gearbox changes become very jerky. The problem is worse at medium speed when the gear changes down under acceleration and then changes back up again. Problem only occurs after 30 + minutes of running.

Nfl gear [ 1 Answers ]

On TV, I see a band around some of the players arms, they are like elastic bands, what are these bands? What r they used for?

View more questions Search