Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hrad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2013, 08:50 AM
    Runaway engine.
    Have a B&S engine model 285777 on my riding lawnmower. For some reason about 2 weeks ago the engine runs wide open when started. I cannot slow it down. Have checked throttle linkage its OK. What could be causing this. Thanks for help...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 10:43 AM
    Check governor linkage.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 02:40 PM
    Hi,
    Governor linkages rarely go out of adjustment. Two possibilities come to mind; broken governor or broken thottle shaft(inside the carb.) The governor limits the RPMs by closing the throttle at a certain speed. The throttle shaft is what the governor hooks to and has the butterfly valve(throttle disc) that shuts the throttle attached to it.
    Adjusting the governor is farily straight forward with your engine. The lever is on the left rear of the engine block clamped to the governor shaft by a pinch bolt with a 3/8" nut. Place throttle in full speed position, loosen nut on lever so that it can pivot on shaft, turn shaft fully clockwise, tighten nut and test.
    Next is a link to the parts breakdown at:
    http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Brig...792%5b1%5d.pdf
    And item #131 on page 4 is the throttle shaft; part #494379. Most any dealer will order it for you with prepayment, none will have it in stock except possible on a used carb.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Runaway [ 1 Answers ]

How do you put you're child's face on milk cartons amber alerts pleze help

How not to be a runaway. [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so my family life is insane and I hate it. I want out. I won't go into detail but my question is: I am 17 years old - I will be 18 in August - and I want to move out now, can I leave without my parents consent without being a runaway? I live in California and my parents won't let me leave....

Runaway vs dad [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in cps custody and I'm a run away from cps but I was wondering since were not toghther and my son is in cps custody can he get him?:confused:

Runaway cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi hope someone can help me my cat has recently had kittens they are nearly 4 week old but yesterday the mother went out and she has not come back yet (been over 24 hours now) what do I feed the kittens and how please help

View more questions Search