Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynnette stuart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2013, 07:50 AM
    Need help replaceing floor in bathroom of 1930s home
    The whole floor needs to b replaced under everything in my bathroom on the second story of a 1930s home the bath tub feels like its falling when u take a shower and it leaks into the basement causing mold, & just recently the toilet has started leaking makeeing the floor around it really soft and constantly stinking like fresh amoponia
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2013, 08:09 AM
    Call a professional... flooring and subflooring is one thing... but you might have rotted floor joists and that is beyond the average homeowners abilities.
    Pelusawoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2013, 08:21 AM
    I'm not sure what your question is, exactly, but if the toilet and tub are leaking, then you need to fix the plumbing, as well as doing the floor.

What is the flooring? Wood? Tile or vinyl over wood? Decide how you are going to replace it first. Go shopping to get ideas and prices. If you put in tile, you will probably want to put down concrete board first to get a solid base. If things are really bad, you might have to fix some joists first.

I would start by removing the toilet. You'll have to do that anyway to replace the floor, and that way you might be able to see what is leaking. You should have some access to the tub's plumbing. There might be a closet on the other side of the wall (assuming a built-in tub) with a panel that permits access.

When you begin to investigate, post back with some specific questions so that people can better help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I replace floor in mobile home bathroom? [ 4 Answers ]

My floors in both my bathrooms in my mobile are completely caving in. I cannot afford to pay someone to come and fix them, and all the web sites I've checked out only tell me how to put new plywood over the pre existing floor. If my floors are almost gone how can I achieve this goal? I just want to...

Water leaking from 2nd floor bathroom to first floor bathroom? [ 1 Answers ]

I live on first floor of a 3 family home, my bathroom has been having a ongoing leak over the toilet coming from 2nd floor. I told my landlord and they said it was a clogged tub... but it just keeps happening and gets worst every time. It's to the point that its raining in the bathroom. Could a...

Can I raise bathroom floor to move my toilet that sits in a slab floor? [ 3 Answers ]

Moving my toilet appx 3 feet. It is currently a slab foundation and I don't want to have to drill through the concrete, so can I elevate the floor, move my toilet and extend the piping into the old toilet drain in the slab?

Mobile home bathroom floor removal [ 1 Answers ]

Need to remove mobile home bathroom floor for repair. Soft spots,tub cracked.Would like step by step instructions if possible. Need to get started, not sure where to begin.

1930s basement floor drain w/out trap? [ 5 Answers ]

Have any of you ever seen a floor drain that doesn't have a trap in it? In our house half the basement is finished and the other half unfinished, both have floor drains in lowest part of the room. The one in the unfinished part always worked, albeit slowly, but recently stopped and when snaked...

View more questions Search