Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jenic27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2013, 04:49 PM
    Shower extremely slow to drain
    I had a new bathroom fitted last year into the old box room, and everything has been working fine up until a few weeks ago. The shower is not draining away, I have thought it might have been a blockage so have done everything in my power to clear it, but nothing seems to work except the good old plunger. When it's plunged nothing comes up and you don't have to try hard, it just seems that it needs to get a vacuum under the water to get it to clear, and once it starts to drain there's no further problems with it until the next time it's used and then it's the same problem again.
    The way the plumbing is set up is that the drain from the shower goes under the floor to where it joins up with the sink and then it feeds outside to the pipe which then just goes off into the sewer, the connection to the pipe outside is where it's on open ended pipe that feeds into almost like a funnel.
    The sink is draining absolutely fine along with all the other plumbing in the house.
    I'm thinking it has to have something to do with air, but due to how the pipe is outside, there is no reason that I can think of that it could be causing it.
    Any advice would be great, thanks.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 07:23 AM
    Was the shower drain properly vented ? Is the sink and toilet draining OK ?

First I would call the plumber who install the shower plumbing. He will know the best what is wrong with his installation. If he is not available, I would call a professional to inspect the drain with sewer camera to make sure there is no obstruction, sharp turns, bad transition connection from shower to existing house plumbing and/or wrong pipe size used along the drain run.

Back to you / Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 11:02 AM
    Hi Jenic

You said, "I had a new bathroom fitted last year into the old box room, and everything has been working fine up until a few weeks ago"...

The first thing I would do is remove the shower strainer and go fishing with a metal coat hanger... could just be soap scum/hair built up in the drain (especially if you have a custom tiled shower as cement can get into the drain during installation).

Try that and report back, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Shower Drain [ 3 Answers ]

My shower drain drains very, very slowly often rising up to my ankles. Ewww! :( What can I do? DrainO or something like that?

Slow shower drain - old pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. We just purchased a house with older pipes. The shower drain on the second floor is incredibly slow: when you remove the plug from the bath it does not move at all. I've read all of the "snaking" suggestions but am concerned I will injure the pipes, having no idea what kind of shape...

Slow Tub/shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

My first attempt so please bear with me. By the time I finish a shower I'm in ankle deep water. Tub drains, but slowly. Can't get the drain out so removed the plate below the faucet and ran the snake through there. Got around all the bends and went the length of the snake -- about 20 ft. ...

Extremely Slow Shower Drain [ 5 Answers ]

The drain in my shower is extremely slow. I have tried using common liquid clog removers, but they have not helped one bit. I have also tried to use an Auger that I have, but I can get no further than a couple of inches into the drain. When I look down the drain there is actually water that is...

Slow shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

My shower drain is draining very slow. I cleaned out the trap, I adjusted the drain plug assembly, I even took out the cleanouts in the main drain and ran a snake through it. But the drain is still slow. Could it be the vent, because it's the only thing I haven't checked yet. If it is the vent...

View more questions Search