Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccnd0618 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2013, 11:17 AM
    Craftsman Mower model #917.28813 won't start
    Our mower won't turn over and the lights won't go on. We have a brand new battery that we purchased 4 months ago, husband put a new spark plug & gas filter in it.

A few days ago the mower would run fine but then started to bog down and just die out. We let it rest for a little bit and it would start right up and a few minutes later it would do the same and just die out. Now it's not wanting to start at all. We have a seat switch on order to see if that is the cause but other than that we are at a loss.

Could the seat switch cause the mower to not even turn over or the lights go on?

Any help is appreciated.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 8, 2013, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    A few days ago the mower would run fine but then started to bog down and just die out. We let it rest for a little bit and it would start right up and a few minutes later it would do the same and just die out.
    That sounds like either it is over heating, i.e. low oil, or it is starved for fuel. Check vent hole in gas cap. If vent hole is blocked, no air can get into tank so no fuel can flow to carb.

Our mower won't turn over and the lights won't go on.
    Sounds like you have run the battery down with all the starting you have had to do. Jump start or charge battery.
    Most of the time the lights on a riding mower only burn when engine is running.
    Could the seat switch cause the mower to not even turn over or the lights go on?
    Unlikely to be seat switch. Seat switch grounds electrical system and kills the engine if you fall off mower. Unplugging seat switch makes it ineffective.

Sep 8, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Thank you for responding!

We changed out the fuse and put a 30 amp in it. Took out the battery and our charger shows it at a full charge.

When we put it all together and placed the battery back into the mower it doesn't do anything. No clicking, no trying to turn over, it's just dead.

I don't get it because like I said my husband put a new gas filter in, the oil looks good, and battery is at full life.

Husband thinks that maybe it could be a solenoid? Just seems like we are doing a whole lot of guessing at this point.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 8, 2013, 02:24 PM
    Hi,
    Both the solenoid and the key switch are mechanical in nature and the most failed parts of the electrical system. The seat switch is also a commonly failed part as is the brake switch. Both of those switches are in a common path to the solenoid to enable cranking. Another common mistake is still having the deck turned on.
    I agree with the gas cap part of HK's answer as well.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Sep 8, 2013, 05:57 PM
    Thank you both for responding!

We ended up getting it started by giving it a jump. The battery charger showed it totally charged but it would crank over the mower. So my husband gave it a jump & it started right up. He is now thinking that the battery has a cell that is not properly holding a charge. We will see tomorrow when the mower sits over night & try it once again tomorrow.

Again, thank you!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn tractor model 917.28734 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Engine turns over. Plug is getting fire. I sprayed wd40 in the carb and no back fire or start

The engine on my craftsman lawn tractor, model 917.28813 dies [ 3 Answers ]

When I go to engage the blades the engine dies. If I immediately disengaged the engine recovers. My seat switch seems to be working fine - if I stand up it cuts out and won't start unless I am in neutral, seated and brake on. However, one of the blades does not rotate well.. it's stiff and...

Craftsman model 917.27682 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

The battery is charged and tested good but the engine will not turn over.

Craftsman 917.. 389010 mower won't start [ 0 Answers ]

Have a Craftsman Rotary Mower 625 series Briggs & Stratton Engine 21" cut Model #917.389010 that will not stay running after a few seconds. Change gas, plug and nothing. Any advice?

View more questions Search