Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hot mustang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2013, 11:54 AM
    I was born in New York and want to know who my birth parents are?
    I am 64 years old, just for medical reason I would like know, if individuals that are born in New York have to go through a legal process to find out if my real parent have suffered any medical problems, and if my children inherited the same?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 1, 2013, 12:13 PM
    Do you know anything about your adoption?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 1, 2013, 01:12 PM
    Adoption Information Registry - New York State Department of Health

Best place for you to start. You can get non-identifying information whether your birthparents have registered---and given your age, odds are that they haven't.

Getting your medical information is trickier. Your birth parents have to have registered for you to get that information. If you have a medical EMERGENCY that requires your genetic information, you can go to court to get the medical records of your birth parents---essentially, you'd be forcing open the adoption in this process. However, courts are extremely unlikely to open an adoption without a VERY good cause--like a life or death situation.

New York appears to also allow biological siblings to register, so it's possible you may be able to get more information than in other states, which could be lucky for you.

I would also register at adoption.org and ISRR to increase your odds of a reunion and getting medical information.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to Find Kathleen Margaret Potter Born in New York [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to help my husband find his sister. He hasn't seen or heard from her since she was 16 years old. We have tried numerous searches with no luck. I don't know if she ever married, so I only know her maiden name. Her name is Kathleen Margaret Potter, born in New York, December 18, 1969....

My parents have been divorced since I was born, and now I'm 12 [ 3 Answers ]

My parents have been divorced since I was born and it hasn't bothered me until now. My dad has been harassing my mom and the police won't do anything about it... One time he came to my moms house when I was at a friends house and banged on the door yelling at my mom to let me out of the house and...

Born in you.S With diplomatic parents [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know if there is someone with similar issue or if any body can help. I was born in NY and my dad was a diplomat. Under the 14th amendment all people born on U.S soil have the right to citizenship. Except children of foreign diplomats. I currently live abroad and would like...

Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on...

View more questions Search