Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BernadetteMac Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Birth Certicate Fathers name
    When I was 9 my stepfather adopted my brother and I. My mother was married to him for 35 years and last year he divorced her. Many years ago my brother took his real last name back and recently I have also, I would also like to get my birth certificate to reflect my real fathers name also. He is still alive in New York and is willing to do so. My mother wants this as well. Can I do this without having to drag my mother to New York and my sick father to court to have him re adopt me and change it?

Bernadette:rolleyes:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Actually they can't adopt you as a adult, and the legal name change is about all you can do. You can discuss it with a local attorney but I don't think you can even do what you are wanting to.
    BernadetteMac Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BernadetteMac
    When I was 9 my stepfather adopted my brother and I. My mother was married to him for 35 years and last year he divorced her. Many years ago my brother took his real last name back and recently I have also, I would also like to get my birth certificate to reflect my real fathers name also. He is still alive in New York and is willing to do so. My mother wants this as well. Can I do this without having to drag my mother to New York and my sick father to court to have him re adopt me and change it?

Bernadette:rolleyes:
    Seems odd that the birth certificate was changed, I thought I read somewhere on this site that adoption is an addendum to the birth certificate...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 07:03 PM
    No, at the time of a adoption, esp 30 years ago, a new birth cerificate is issued, with the adopted parents showing as the birth parents.
    * the actual original birth certificate still exsits, in the courthouse files, but it not released.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers rights [ 4 Answers ]

OK here is my question. My son is 23 and he found out he might be a Father. The mother does not want the child and she wants to give it away. My son wants to raise the child. I want to know are what are his rights. Right now? How can he make sure the mother will look after herself and the unborn...

How do I add my fathers name to my birth certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

My mother never put my fathers name on my birth certificate. (nice one mom) I found him a couple of years ago and met him for the first time and it was great and blah blah blah and he's OK with me putting his name on it, but I have no idea where to start. What do I need to get from him to do this?...

Adding fathers name to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add a fathers name to a birth certificate that just has the mothers name on it. I live in Florida

De facto fathers [ 2 Answers ]

I just re-married my sons mom and now one of her ex-boyfreinds is suing us for custody of our son.what do I do?

Fathers rights PLEASE HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that is living with his girlfriend he is supporting her, her son from a previous relationship and now their son they have together. He is on the birth certificate and is an active father. He is wanting to take his son to a funeral out of town for a family member, girlfriend is not...

View more questions Search