Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    este2013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Voluntary repossession
    I bought a vehicle where the car was taken 30 minutes. Right after for overheating. The car was taken into the dealer several times for the same reasons. I told the dealer that I was going to return the vehicle if this happened again, which it did so I took the vehicle in and they kept it as a volutary repossession. Now I have here a company calling me and telling me they will be garnishing my wages. Can this be done?
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Mar 27, 2007, 04:21 PM
    If the car is sold for less than what is owed on it I think they can get a judgement if you don't pay and then possibly garnish your wages,This is only a guess though,maybe someone else will know for sure. Was the car new or used and did you read the fine print when you signed the contract? Maybe some else can give you some helpful information
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Ok, well first you can't just leave it, not without their agreement, and at that time you needed to set up the rules for that to happen.

So what happens is don't matter if you gave it back or not, if you don't have a written agreement to allow you to give it back.

So they sold it, at auction most likely added repo fees and legal fees and now you have to pay the rest ( this is how it works)

And if you don't pay them for the car you now don't have, they will get a judgement from the court and attach ( take ) any money you have in the bank and garnish your wages, yes they will do that and can very easy.

What you needed to do was to SUE the dealer on the car, not just walk off and leave it. Or if you were going to leave it, have it agreed in writing they would take it back and not owe anything ( which they would not do most liekly)

It is very likely you can owe more money on a car that you don't have, then you did when you had the car. Always check the result of your actions before you do them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Repossession [ 16 Answers ]

If you voluntarily let the bank Repossess a vehicle, will they still try to collect a Deficiency Balance? This pertaining to the State of Hawaii. Someone said if they come and Repo your vehicle, you don't have to pay the Deficiency Balance? But if you call the bank and tell them to pick it up,...

Mobile home repossession [ 2 Answers ]

We owe 2 months payment on our mobile home. We can come up with one of the payments, but the finance company says that they want all the money at one time or they will start repo. One of the payments is only 9 days late, and I can come up with that money at the beginning of the next month. The...

Trying to avoid repossession [ 2 Answers ]

I am behind on my car loan due to the car breaking down shortly after purchasing it The tranmission was in need to be replace which proved to be quite expensive. In addition I lost several days of work while I had no car. Shortly after, the starter, heater, and now the fuel pump is in need of...

Repossession [ 4 Answers ]

I am facing a repo of a mobile home,the company says they will sell the trailer & of course I am still in debt for what will be left after sale.. the rep told me since they know I can't pay that either, that they will send a 1099 form to IRS showing whatever I still owe as earned income?? and I...

Repossession [ 2 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I have a truck that I am still making payments on but it is just sitting because the head gasket blew and I need a new engine. In the mean time I bought a new car and am making payments on the new car. Because I am upside in my loan for the truck I can't sell it. What...

View more questions Search