Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tackettsr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2013, 09:14 PM
    a/c runs & cools house but will not shut off
    Have a Lennox a/c electric unit with propane heat. At first the unit acted like the thermostat was bad so I changed it out to a new digital thermostat. Then I thought the new thermostat was no good as it did not work so I thought it was not compatible with my system so I went and got another digital thermostat and change it. It is compatible with my system and wired correct. The system would not work because it had a bad capacitor so I changed it out and the unit fired right up and cools the house. Now the problem is when you turn the a/c on it cools the house but the temp does not change on the thermostat. It stays around 78-82 and will not go lower to true temp kick off. So for example I turn the unit on and have it at 72 the house is cold but the temp on the thermostat will read 81 after an hour and never show it is actually cooler in the house to kick off. The unit is not freezing up, the blower is working just fine and the house gets cold just that the a/c will not read on the thermostat the true temp to shut off. So for some reason the a/c is not getting the message the house is cool to tell the thermostat to tell the unit to shut off. Anyone out here with any ideas. I have been searching the internet for a week and have come up empty I can not figure out what the issue could be. Has to be something simple but simple is not my middle name. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Have a great day!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2013, 02:18 AM
    Do you have another thermometer in the house?? What temp does it say? Either the t-stat is bad and showing the wrong temp or the hole in the wall behind the stat is to big, or there is something wrong with the outdoor unit and not cooling the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC cools but doesn't shut off unless I raise the temperature [ 6 Answers ]

I have a digital thermostat and recently my AC hasn't been running correctly. I have been keeping the thermostat at 76 and the AC maintains that temperature. However, if I try to lower it to 74, it will cool to 74 and then continue to run but always shows 74. The only way to get it to stop...

AC Inside Blower Stops, Condenser runs continuously Until Entire Unit shut off & Reset [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Trane compressor outside. The unit comes on and the interior blower comes on for a few hours and then stops blowing. I tried to turn on the fan via the thrmostat and it does not work when it shuts down but otherwise works fine so its not a wiring problem. The outside unit continues to...

A/C - Cools house, outside fan stops and house gets warm [ 4 Answers ]

In the past few weeks I've been running the A/C pretty consistently. The house will cool down and then periodically will start to warm up again slowly. I checked the inside unit - fan still blowing but just cool air - and outside unit - not running. If I flip the breaker for the furnace off and...

My central air unit is making a clicking sound but runs and cools [ 2 Answers ]

I have a weather king ac unit 2 ton. The model # says SFC924C-1B on the back. Today I was sitting outside and I heard a relay clicking sound every few minutes from the unit. The ac unit was cooling my house fine, I don't smell any burning or whatnot. It just kept making this clicking sound... Is...

AC Runs all time, barley cools [ 1 Answers ]

My AC unit runs constantly, slightly cool air comes from registers, to get the house cool I have to set themostat to a real low setting, I replaced the filter, I vacuumed out the inside coil, now the system is just barely working, one repair tech showed me that the issue is with freon leaks on the...

View more questions Search