Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snrcorey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2013, 07:36 PM
    Insulating in a basement...
    I am trying to find a way to put insulation in my basement. On my south wall, there is no insulation between the rim joist and the first floor joist. There is about a 7" space between the two joists. The rim joist sits solidly on the sill plate. The first joist in has about a 3/8" - 1/2" gap between the bottom of the joist and the foundation. I need to get insulation between the two joists. Any suggestions? I am considering buying many cans of spray foam, but not sure if that is the best option. Any suggestions?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 7, 2013, 08:23 PM
    That's a lot of cans. Why exactly do you need to fill in this 7" space that only has a tiny access? Can't you calk all around the exterior, stuff a little fiberglass along that 1/2" space, and just insulate between the rest of the joists with fiberglas the usual way?

Either that or hire a spray foam company, who might be cheaper than DIY.

Also, beware of insulating areas that might be prone to water seepage. Just rots a lot faster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulating a basement ceiling without [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a ski chalet in the French Alps. In winter, the basement level is often well below freezing and is not insulated. The ceiling is just raw concrete building bricks, no wooden joists or anything that insulation batts could be inserted into. The floor above does not have underfloor...

Insulating a basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a newer house that I am going to finish the basement. When my house was built they insulated and vapour barrer half way down my basement walls, is it necasarry to insulate the bottom half if it is below ground level or can I get away without it Thanks to all that repond

Finishing and Insulating a Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry about the huge thread started, but I wanted to give as much background info as possible. Thanks, Logan. Background: In a few years I will be finishing my basement. I live in lower New York so the temperature varies from season to season. My basement has cinder block walls and the...

Insulating Basement [ 6 Answers ]

Are there any alternatives to insulating a basement with cement walls besides insulating all the walls with 3 inch fiberglass?

Insulating basement joists [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: finishing basement and I am curious as to how deep should I put the insulation in the joists. I am using #15 roofing paper 3/4's of the way up the cement wall with 2x4 studs and r-12 batts, then a polyurethane vapour barrier. Now should I bring out the insulation over the 2x4 stud of the...

View more questions Search