Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rperez2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Sales tax for non-resident aliens
    Hi. I've read the other posts/threads, but I'm still confused about the sales tax provision (Publication 600).

Here's my situation:

I'm an international student.
    I'm single and a non-resident alien for tax purposes.
    For that reason I can only file form 1040NR (or, alternatively, the EZ version).
    My country has NO treaty.
    I bought a new car.

Can I claim the itemized deduction for sales tax?

From publication 600 you can claim EITHER state/local tax OR sales tax due to major purchase. Am I eligible under my circumstances?

I appreciate your assistance. This tax process is somewhat confusing, especially for particular cases such as myself.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Non-resident aliens CANNOT claim the sales tax as an itemized deductions.

Only local and state INCOME taxes can be claimed.

Sorry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are foreign students naturally non-resident aliens? [ 7 Answers ]

I read up a few other questions/answers, but decided to open a new thread instead... Like many others, I'm really confused with my alient status! I originally thought I was a non-resident alien (since I'm still a student), but I am using CINTAX software, and it tells me I qualify for SPT and...

E-Filing for Non resident Aliens with L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from INDIA. My Stay period for the Year 2006 in USA is less than 183 days, I am with L1 work Visa. Can use the Free e-file service from IRS. If not can I use 1040EZ instead of 1040NREZ? If I have to use only 1040NREZ for how much standard deduction I am eligible to? My employer...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

1040 for Resident Aliens [ 3 Answers ]

I am on F1 Visa status since Dec 2003 and currently on OPT. I went through the instructions in details, at: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf On page 2 of 45, I pass the substantial presence test. Does that mean this makes me "resident alien for tax puproses" and I can fill 1040. ...

Nonresident aliens and state sales taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I moved to the US from Canada on a TN (now H1B) status in August 2005 and so will be filing my US taxes as a nonresident alien for 2005. (I didn't meet substantial presence.) My question is: does anybody know if nonresident aliens can deduct state and local SALES taxes? I live in Florida,...

View more questions Search