Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TayTay2929 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Old Debt New Collector
    I am in the process of getting my first mortgage, After a long haul of building my credit, I have ran my credit often and knew that an old phone bill debt was due to come off my credit in 2006, Which it did. It had not appeared at all past three checks,
    I got a letter in the mail recently that a new agency has bought this debt and I have thirty days to respond, My question is since the orignal debt was removed from my credit can it re-appear under a new name? I Do not want to make a payment if it is going to hurt me,
    Day before receiving this letter it was not on my credit ,
    Please help I need a mortgae and have nothing in collections and do not want this
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Mar 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TayTay2929
    I am in the process of getting my first mortgage, After a long haul of building my credit, I have ran my credit often and knew that an old phone bill debt was due to come off my credit in 2006, Which it did. It had not appeared at all past three checks,
    I got a letter in the mail recently that a new agency has bought this debt and i have thirty days to respond, My question is since the orignal debt was removed from my credit can it re-appear under a new name? I Do not want to make a payment if it is going to hurt me,
    Day before recieving this letter it was not on my credit ,
    please help i need a mortgae and have nothing in collections and do not want this
    This is a dirty game that creditors play. Once one company sees that your credit is about to clear up they sell it to a nother company for little of nothing. The new company buys thousands of these hoping to find people in your situation that need good credit to make a major purchase. The sad thing is that no laws are made to protect us from this. The only way to clear yourself is to pay the bill or wait until the time passes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
    If the debt is valid, then new activity may reinstate it.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Apparently the new collection agency can put this back on your credit report, this is what Scott was saying. If it's not on your credit right now then apply for the mortgage, the site says the standard is after 180 days this will show as an unpaid debt, you should be moved in by then!

Debt Collections Crash Course - Debt Collection Basics - Credit.com
    clohman Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 01:47 PM
    I am not sure if I am correct, however, a debt is a debt until it is paid. I too am trying to clean up my credit to become a first time home buyer. You need to find a Financial Institution (Bank) that is going to work with you. I know for a fact my daughter high debt is off her report however, they are still hunting her down for payment. My suggestion to you is - you have come to far to end it now - pay the bill if you can and that why you will not have the skeleton in your closet. I know easier said then done, however, I know how you feel and I have a few skeletons in my closet but I am dealing with them head on and winning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to say when debt collector calls [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, Just wanted to know what to say to a collections agency when they keep calling me and make them stop:mad:

Can a debt collector take my car [ 6 Answers ]

So, I totally lost my case that worked so hard on. The lawyer won summary judgment. I did my opposition but of course the judge said it wasn't sufficient to offset the plaintiff's proofs. So now I have to pay (I guess I am OK with that) but these people (Pressler and Pressler). So I get a list of...

Debt collector [ 13 Answers ]

What do you do about a debt collector who completely ignores the statute of limitations for NY? I keep on getting a call from "vital recovery services" trying to collect on a Discover card I had in college. I explain it was 8-9 years ago and way past the statute of limitations. They lie to me...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

Nasty debt collector [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a large CIBC Visa bill, in which they have cancelled me collections and I sent CIBC 6 post dated cheques for $250.00@ for the 15th of each month. I am unemployeed and have other debts as well. I received Unemployment insurance and when I explained this to the collection agency they advised...

View more questions Search