Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hfergus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2013, 06:48 AM
    Sewer cleanout plug
    I ran over the sewer cleanout plug with my lawnmower, and cut off the rectangle thing on top that you use to remove it. I cannot remove it. Any suggestions are appreciated
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 11:35 AM
    Hi Hfergus

What material is the cleanout cap made of? If plastic, it should be easy enough to cut out (just cut a cross hatch and wiggle pieces loose). If a brass cap, then you can still cut a cross hatch and then cave the plug in using a hammer and wiggle the parts loose (do not drop parts in the drain). If a brass cap, sometimes we use a hammer and chisel, create a dent in the side of the cap and then use a hammer and chisel (chisel point in dent of cap) and drive the cap around until it loosens that way... make sense?

See pictures below...

Ask me more if you want, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Need a small piece of wood, something like a 1X3, 12" long. Drill two 5/16" holes about 3" apart. Lay the wood over the plug and drill two holes in the plug by drilling thru the holes in the wood. Put a 1/4 X 4" carriage bolt in each hole and put a nut on them. Stick carriage bolt in holes in plug and turn.

Neat art work Mark.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 04:32 PM
    They are just pictures from a similar question I worked on years back now, but thanks all the same! Great idea on the wood lever... ;)

I would try the chisel and hammer first (pretty easy most of the time), try the wood next and if that failed I'd go with the cuts across the hole!

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain urinal through a cleanout plug. [ 44 Answers ]

Want to discharge a urinal for my basement mancave through the opening of cleanout plug of 4 1/2" cast iron vertical soil pipe / stack line / vent. Size of plug is 4 1/2". Is there an common protocol to adapt a drain through a cleanout to the cast iron soil pipe? Thanks!

Sewer cleanout [ 2 Answers ]

How do you replace a male plug/cover on an existing female cleanout that is not a perfect round anymore?

Plug missing from sewer cleanout [ 6 Answers ]

The plug is missing from the exit side of a you trap cleanout in the crawl space of the house I bought. It is plugged with a rag. Is this safe for sewer gas?

To wet test a sewer drain install, do you plug the sewer pipe as it enters the septic [ 2 Answers ]

Three questions. For a sewer drain wet test, do you plug the drain as it enters the new septic tank? Where does the 10' wet stack go and can you change direction 45 degrees under a slab in the main sewer drain line ?

Removing cleanout plug [ 3 Answers ]

How do you remove a cleanout plug when the nub for where you put the wrench on has been rounded off?

View more questions Search