Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    claw4009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2013, 10:38 AM
    Pex or cpvc in new house?
    We are building a new house in NH. It's a 3 bedroom colonial with 2.5 baths and will have well water. Should we use pex or CPVC? The plumber usually uses CPVC and wants to charge an additional $900 for pex? So which is better and is pex really that much more expensive ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
    PEX is close in cost to CPVC and easier to install. You do need the connectors and tools. Maybe he feels uncomfortable with PEX. They just built 42 new homes in our N'hood, 100% PEX. It must be cheaper for a builder to spec PEX. They only reason I use CPVC is my comfort level and not having the compression tools but I typically do 'handyman" items , not whole houses.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
    As far as I can tell, some areas use CPVC on a regular basis so using PEX all of a sudden throws them off kilt a little... same when PEX users are asked to use CPVC.

Which one is better? Well, not exactly an easy answer here. I like CPVC for ease of installation and that fact that the tubing and fittings maintain FULL SIZE throughout the system (fittings don't reduce pipe size and volume). Some PEX, on the other hand (so not all PEX systems), can have fittings that reduce the overall size of the system and therefore the volume of water available at fixtures and this MUST be addressed properly for a system to have good water volume available to fixtures, especially when multiple fixtures are used. PEX is also simple to install, but as Brian mentioned, it usually requires special tools to install.

In my area, we use copper (believe it or not), CPVC and PEX, and I find that the contractors that get the "big" jobs use CPVC as it is cheaper to install, for sure. PEX and copper seem to be used more in remodeling jobs.

I guess, if it was my call, I'd go with the CPVC, especially if it is cheaper and the contractor is more comfortable using it.

Hope that helped some...

Mark
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 05:41 PM
    I agree with Mark for the most part, especially when letting the contractor use the materials he feels most comfortable with. In my area we run almost all pex, but that's what we are stocked up for. If a shop is stocked up with cpvc, they most likely aren't going to want to stock up on pex just for one job and visa versa. It really is human nature to stick with what you know works. We had the hardest time biting the bullet and converting over to pex from all copper installs, but I wouldn't go back now.
    claw4009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2013, 03:53 AM
    Thanks for all your replies. Definitely some things to consider. I don't want our house to be the first pex house this guy has ever done!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 26, 2013, 04:52 AM
    I asked my GC friend to reno my dad's house with PEX (freezing problems, access problems). It was his first use of it and he had no trouble with it, and wanted to do it because people were starting to ask for it more. He paid something like $80 for the usual tool and $15 for another tool specifically for a specific fitting that the closest lumberyard sold exclusively.
    I just wish I had bought some short lengths of grey where it came out of the floor to the thin wallmount European radiators I bought. But that would have meant an elbow and right angles below the floor instead of snaking. And so on. Various little questions to consider and extra time spent learning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC vs Cpvc vs Pex [ 6 Answers ]

A novice here! Is there a difference between these three, or is it preference? Can they all be used for hot & cold? Which is the best to use in remodeling 60 yr old cottage? Thanks!

Newly installed angle shutoff on cpvc leaking at cpvc [ 7 Answers ]

I just installed a shutoff valve for a garage bath sink and I used primer and cpvc glue on the pipe (but not the inside of angle valve). Now after drying 3 hours, its leaking at the cpvc. Is there any way to fix/glue the leak without cutting off the shutoff and going back to store to get a new one...

Aftre changing part of my house to PEX I have what sounds like air but have no leaks. [ 4 Answers ]

I created a 4 foot loop on one end and capped a run that goes vertical that perhaps creates a vacumm? Not sure but cold water makes noise but not always.

Will cpvc glue work with pex tubing? [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to combine cpvc connectors with my PEX tubing and hope that the glue to hold the fittings will not damage the PEX tubing

Whole house water supply copper to cpvc [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a house with a private well . The previous owner never had any type of water treatment or filter system on the water supply. Because of this all the 1/2" copper tube is lined with sediment and sludge restricting the flow to all faucets and outlets. There is already some 3/4" cpvc...

View more questions Search