Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vix261 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2013, 02:26 PM
    Top of tap has broken off, cant reattach... please help
    Hi,

The top of my bath tap (hot side of a mixer bath/shower tap) has come off when trying to turn the tap on. It detached from the main unit a small bit of screw is showing out of the bottom of the tap end but it won't reattach to the main unit. Please can someone help?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 02:35 PM
    Hi Vix

I would need a picture to try to help here... and even then may still not be able to help!

Try uploading a picture... ;)

Mark

Jul 24, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Hi Mark,

This link should take you to photos would really appreciate any help.

http://db.tt/RZfIyU8N

Thanks
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2013, 04:01 PM
    It looks like you have broken screw for the handle, remove the broken piece and install a new screw, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 04:30 PM
    Hi Vix

You can try to purchase a screw extractor kit (or just the smallest extractor/drill bit combo. They sell) and see if you can extract the broken screw... available at most home improvement stores.
    Attached Images

Jul 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
    Thanks for having a look. Any ideas how I can get the broken bit out? I can't see it at all when I look in with a torch, I had initially thought it was the screw that had broke, but I guess I was hoping it'd be something simpler :(.

Jul 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
    Oh you're a step ahead of me, thanks so much :)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Hope it works!

Jul 24, 2013, 04:34 PM
    I'll let yous know, I'm going to attempt it tomorrow after a trip to the diy shop. Fingers crossed
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 05:00 PM
    You might be able to remove the tap there and access the stem assembly (part with broken screw in it). If you can do that and remove the stem assembly then you may be able to replace the stem assembly (see image) as another option should screw removal fail.

When going to the DIY shop, be sure to bring the broken screw part that you should have from the handle. If the smallest extractor and drill bit is too large for this and a replacement stem assembly can't be found then you may want to see if you can get a properly sized drill and tap (see image) and drill the old screw out and then retap new threads (get a new proper length brass screw, too).
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2013, 11:04 PM
    Hello Vix261,

Mark gave you excellent advice, to replace the stem, please remove the old stem take it with you to DIY shop get a new stem and a new screw, also check the slots in the old handle if they looks worn replace the handle too, goodluck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken front top tooth... Please help.. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a temporary crown on, waiting for my permanent crown, but when I was brushing my teeth tonight... the little bit of tooth I have left broke... my temporary crown came off so I looked at the actual tooth and the side was broken off, I can see the post that I already have in... Please help,...

My tooth hurts when I bend over or tap the top of my head... [ 1 Answers ]

I just found a hole in my top tooth in the far back tooth. It hurts when I shake my head or tap the top part of my head or even touching my face. It does not hurt to eat with this tooth but it does to jump or bend over. It feels like there is something in it. Please help me does any one know what...

Broken lock roll top desk [ 0 Answers ]

My lock is broken on the roll top desk and key will not unlock it so I can roll up the top

Broken Patio Umbreela (Top Portion) [ 0 Answers ]

I have an outdoor patio umbrella that won't open properly. The handle is loose and I have the back off where the crank is located that will not raise. I brought it into the garage to look at it to see what the problem might be and have the back off. This is where I need some help From your end....

Can I fix my broken corian counter top [ 2 Answers ]

I remove corian counter top with some friends and I broke it in 2 pieces right by the sink.. is anyway that I can fix that myself and how.. or I am going have to get professional to do it and if anyone know--how much it is going cost---average... crack about six inch away from the sink... all the...

View more questions Search