Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queanie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2013, 11:32 AM
    Lining an underground sewer pipe
    We have a crack in an underground sewer line. I understand a plumber can insert a "liner" to seal the crack and eliminate a big digging job. Does this sound correct, how is it done and what should we be asking for?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2013, 11:37 AM
    The liner is usually heated sprayed epoxy that sets up fast, not an inserted liner.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 01:15 PM
    Sorry Brian, but that isn't correct in terms of my area, at least. In fact, in all cases I've worked on, they used an epoxy liner and pulled it into the broken drain pipe with a come-a-long and then pulled a balloon into the liner to open and push the liner against the wall of the pipe.

Queanie, plumbers do not usually do this... RELINING companies do. I would suggest that you get the drain line videotaped so you can tell exactly where and how many breaks there are in the drain line. Get a DVD of the video (should be provided on the spot by the tech.) and get 3 estimates by showing the video to at least two other companies so you can hear the opinions/options and costs/prices before proceeding.

Be clear that even relining a drain pipe requires at least two big holes to be dug up... to pull the liner in and to get the liner end cut smoothly on the other end.

Relining has its place if entire mains have to be replaced, but if only a small section of the drain needs to be replaced you are still better off digging up the floor and replacing the small section of pipe.

Good luck!

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2013, 03:48 PM
    [QUOTE=massplumber2008;3514003]Sorry Brian, but that isn't correct in terms of my area, at least. In fact, in all cases I've worked on, they used an epoxy liner and pulled it into the broken drain pipe with a come-a-long and then pulled a balloon into the liner to open and push the liner against the wall of the pipe.

Queanie, plumbers do not usually do this... RELINING companies do. I would suggest that you get the drain line videotaped so you can tell exactly where and how many breaks there are in the drain line. Get a DVD of the video (should be provided on the spot by the tech.) and get 3 estimates by showing the video to at least two other companies so you can hear the opinions/options and costs/prices before proceeding.

Be clear that even relining a drain pipe requires at least two big holes to be dug up... to pull the liner in and to get the liner end cut smoothly on the other end

Relining has its place if entire mains have to be replaced, but if only a small section of the drain needs to be replaced you are still better off digging up the floor and replacing the small section of pipe.

Good luck!

Mark[/QUOTE
    Mark, I just googled "pipe lining with spray epoxy" and have a friend who had this done.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Never heard of it, Brian! Technologies change so darn fast! Looks like an interesting, if not superior option, to the pulled liner system I've worked on!

Click on this link for more info. Queanie:

Nu Line - Epoxy Coating - Nu Flow

Thanks Brian!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Well that certainly looks like a cheap alternative to digging up your average residential sewer. But really, that video amazed me. I could see a place for it in multi million/billion dollar commercial properties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is cipp lining a good solution for a leaky sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I am considering having a cured in place pipe relinging done in my leaking sewer line. The sewer line runs under a slap. Is this a good way to go? WHAT WOULD THE WARRANTY BE FOR THIS?

Tie in to sewer line underground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am adding a new bathroom to my home and have exited the home with a 4" abs sewer drain. I have found the 4" cast iron sewer line heading to city sewer. What fitting do I use to connect to the cast iron. The cast iron pipe is about 1' lower than my new abs when I slope it 1/4"/ft. I would...

Can "CuraFlow" epoxy pipe lining be in galvanized gas pipe? [ 13 Answers ]

Can "CuraFlo" epoxy pipe lining be used for protecting galvanized pipe for gas use?

Sewer Lining or Pipe Burst or push PVC to riser? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an aging sewer pipe. Just so happens that the aging part goes under a main artery/road. Pipe under road is the infamous concrete pipe that is showing aggregate on the bottom. :eek: I had my share of backups but thankfully they all went out the clean-out. I kept it open just for that...

Breaking into underground PVC sewer line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a drainage problem with my property (it was improperly graded years ago). A previous owner installed a 5" or 6" PVC line 18" below-ground from the problem area in the backyard out to the front of the house (it may dump into the city sewer line or just ends in a dry sump area near the...

View more questions Search