Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    info101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2013, 11:30 AM
    Tile and Wood Help
    Hi,
    We recently remodeled our kitchen and hired a contractor to do the job. We have a open kitchen with tile floor that connects to the living room wood floor. However, after a few months of use, the tile and grout in the kitchen is starting to come loose and the floor seems to be shifting as well and making a slight cracking sound every time you make step. We asked our contractor why that's happening and he couldn't give us a reason. I did some research on my own and it seems that the problem might be happening because he didn't use some kind of seperater between the tile and wood floor and now with the heat, the wood is expanding causing the tiles to shift. Can someone please help and let me know if there is a solution to this? What can we do to stop the cracking of the grout?

Thanks,
    Kitman
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2013, 11:35 AM
    Yes, should have used durock or Hardie board on the wood. Probably didn't because it raised the floor too much. Wood expands much more than tile and that is what's causing the problem. Hard to correct at this stage.

Jul 24, 2013, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Yes, should have used durock or Hardie board on the wood. Probably didn't because it raised the floor too much. Wood expands much more than tile and that is what's causing the problem. Hard to correct at this stage.
    Thanks to your quick response. Yeah, at this point we are pretty frustrated and wish there was a quick and easy way to fix this problem but we know that won't be the case. Do you have any recommendations to possibly help minimize the amount of damage we are experiencing?

Thanks,
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 24, 2013, 12:33 PM
    A few months? I would take him to Small Claims.
    First find out what's under the tile. Also what the subfloor is. Knowing the age of the house might tell us or you can look in the basement.

Jul 24, 2013, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    A few months? I would take him to Small Claims.
    First find out what's under the tile. Also what the subfloor is. Knowing the age of the house might tell us or you can look in the basement.
    I think the contractor use thin set for the tiles. I'm not sure what the subfloor is.The house is built in the 1950s.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 24, 2013, 01:30 PM
    I ask because there might be a problem with what he put down under the tile, on top of the subfloor, if anything. 4 x 8 x 1/4" sheets of a substrate that he didn't leave expansion joints between, which need to be 1/8".
    I would take up the loosest tile that is missing the most grout if you can.
    He should have stated what he used on the contract.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Thinset is the adhesive. You cannot put tiles over wood and hope for long life.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jul 25, 2013, 08:31 PM
    Sorry Kitman, but a complete tear out is in your future. I can't tell what he did wrong, but obviously the job is trash.

If you'll give us details of what was done, how and with what, we can help you figure this out.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laying ceramic tile on wood [ 40 Answers ]

I am planning on laying tile over bare wood in my bathroom. I wanted to know if there is any special thinset that I need to use when applying tile directly onto wood.

How to lay tile on wood [ 1 Answers ]

How to lay tile on wood

Wood and Tile Floor Transition [ 2 Answers ]

Where should the transition between wood and tile take place between the Reading Room, Guest Bathroom and Guest Bedroom in the below floorplan? Note that the tile in the Guest Bedroom and Bathroom is the same tile and that the wood flooring runs from the Master Bedroom, through the diagonal hallway...

Wood deck with 18' sq slate tile [ 2 Answers ]

I would like some advice deck is 450sq feet about 400 is under cover. I live in Portland Oregon The deck has been reinforced It is now 12'' centers 2x6 over 8' max span. I am ready to start water proofing ? Cement board? Separator pad? Mastic ? Thinset? Thanks Rob

Floor tile over wood [ 1 Answers ]

Want to lay peel and stick floor tile over hardwood floor planks in bathroom, but there are cracks between some of the planks, as they have been replaced. What would be best to fill them with? The replaced wood is also unpainted. Should it be painted before putting down the tile? Thanks for...

View more questions Search