Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colleene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Very loud humming noise when I turn off outside tap
    Hi, for the last week or so, whenever I water my garden, when I turn off the tap, this very loud noise starts. Yesterday it also happened when using the washing machine which is very close to this tap. The noise goes away when you flush the toilet? Is this an easy fix? Thanks for any help, much appreciated. Colleen
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 23, 2013, 09:27 AM
    If the noise occurs while the water is running it is probably a loose washer in a stop valve somewhere. If the noise occurs after the water is turned off it is most likely a defective PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve).
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 23, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Hi Colleene

To me, it sounds like the toilet fill valve washer has something stuck under it... especially if the noise resolves after flushing the toilet.

Check out the video below to see how to repair this issue:

Try the repair... super fast, super cheap and quick to do.

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a loud humming noise inside my big screen TV [ 0 Answers ]

I have a phillips big screen TV.. the picture started flickering and now there is a loud humming noise... I ordered a new bulb and waiting for it to come so I rmoved it and there is still the humming sound and it seems to be at the fan area.. there is a lot of dust in that area... is that what is...

Constant vibration or humming noise when any tap is turned on [ 9 Answers ]

I am experiencing a constant vibration that sounds like a humming or buzzing noise coming from the pipes in the basement when any tap in the house is turned on. When the washing machine is turned on it gets even louder, probably due to the higher water flow. The plumbing is plastic and only 8 years...

Heat pump loud humming noise outside [ 2 Answers ]

3-1/2 ton Lennox HPXA15 heat pump making loud humming noise. Unit is cooling but has started making a louder than normal humming noise on the outside unit. Fan seems to be running slower than normal.

Loud Humming Noise [ 1 Answers ]

Over the past few months there has been a loud humming noise coming from inside the wall where the old electric panel box is located off my kitchen. This noise sounds like the motor of a fridge or or ceiling fan. While this sound is not loud enough to be heard all over the house it can certainly...

Loud humming noise from shower pipe when not in use [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a loud humming noise coming from the shower pipe even when it is not in use?

View more questions Search