Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 12:30 PM
    Jumping Problem
    I have an 18month old german shepherd lab mix who has a horrible jumping on her people problem when we return from anywhere including the mailbox. We've been through 2 6week training classes at our local pet store. She comes, looks, sits stays, walks well on her leash, and even spins and begs. She can do all of this with cars, birds and other people around. I was told to ignore her until she's calm and then greet her. Well, now it only goes on for 5min instead of 10 and it took months for that much progress. Any suggestions or ideas? Because of all the practicing she's getting to be a little overweight so, suggestions that don't involve food would be great. I would really like to do this at home but, if its not possible, any idea how long it would take a private trainer to do it? (they charge by the hour)
    Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2013, 12:44 PM
    I love the "improvement" of 5 minutes over 10. I guess it's baby steps,

My "puppy" tends to be a jumper. He also doesn't like treats but he's big on praise.

He sits on command, so when I come into the house (like you I can walk out, realize I don't have my keys, walk back in and he's overjoyed to see me) I tell him to sit - and stay. It took many, many tries during which time I turned my back to him. He jumped this way, I turned that way. Now he does it 9 times out of 10.

My trainer told me to put a leash and collar on him, and when he tries to jump, step on the leash. I thought that was really cruel, so I never tried it.

I'm told the good news is eventually they grow up.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 12:47 PM
    How is she getting OVERweight with all of the activity? I know the question is about jumping but she is probably telling you, after all of the activity, that she is hungry. Initiate tough love mom, you don't want they lovely mix of dogdom to be fat!

My trick was putting my knee up whenever I saw a dog wanting to greet me that way. Gently reinforcing NOT jumping.

Stay tuned, you will hear more from our dog experts!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 01:49 PM
    I have to say, I did what tickle did. Put your knee up as soon as she jumps, it will knock her down. Some people might think it's cruel, but wait until she jumps on Grandma and knocks her down, then it's no longer an issue that can wait.

When I come home I don't say anything to my dogs until they're calm. If they try to jump up, I put up my knee. Truth is, I only had to put my knee up once before they realized that when my knee is up, they better not try to jump up.

I'm the only one in the house that does the knee thing, so my dogs don't jump on me, but do jump on the rest of the family. When someone comes to visit I tell them to put their knee up as soon as they come into the house. Works very well.

My rule is "no touch, no talk, no look" until they're both calm. In other words, I pretend they're not even there until they are calm enough to greet me properly.
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    How is she getting OVERweight with all of the activity? I know the question is about jumping but she is probably telling you, after all of the activity, that she is hungry. Initiate tough love mom, you don't want they lovely mix of dogdom to be fat!
    I was advised to go through her tricks and behaviors and practice 15-20 min a day. She gives me longer so I take it. I guess that's more treats. She's nots good at "drop it" but that gets rewarded with me throwing whatever she won't drop or a different toy for her to chase. More exercise. She was at 65lb when we went to the vet and I was told she could lose a few lbs. I was over feeding her roughly 1 cup a day. It doesn't seem like much so maybe she's stealing or maybe that 1 cup is a lot.
    Im not sure what happened. She was a 13lb parvo pup, I blinked, and now she's a manatee
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2013, 01:57 PM
    Melanieray, you have to move to NY so we can hang around together. You have me on the floor!

My dog is good at drop it because sometimes he gets it back and sometimes he doesn't.

I'm always afraid that the knee will hit the throat - how to avoid that?

My GSD will not "drop it" for anyone but me. People come running and I have to go out and tell her to drop it - and she does it within a blink. And cheer up - she's 8 and 155 pounds. Huge and tall and wide - but 45 pounds heavier than me. You can see the need for me to be in charge.

(A manatee - priceless.)

Oh, Alty, does this refer to your husband, your kids, your dogs? "My rule is "no touch, no talk, no look" until they're both calm"
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Melanieray, you have to move to NY so we can hang around together. You have me on the floor!

My dog is good at drop it because sometimes he gets it back and sometimes he doesn't.

I'm always afraid that the knee will hit the throat - how to avoid that?

My GSD will not "drop it" for anyone but me. People come running and I have to go out and tell her to drop it - and she does it within a blink. And cheer up - she's 8 and 155 pounds. Huge and tall and wide - but 45 pounds heavier than me. You can see the need for me to be in charge.

(A manatee - priceless.)

Oh, Alty, does this refer to your husband, your kids, your dogs? "My rule is "no touch, no talk, no look" until they're both calm"
    The knee trick... it can't hit a throat because as raise you raise your knee, they are deflected of your hip.
    Pets Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 06:31 PM
    LOL! My dogs. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
    With the jumping, you can also turn your back, cross arms and walk away. Most dogs will jump on your front.. Its worked many times for me.. but when that fails.. knee to the chest is the next thing.
    Pets Expert

Jul 22, 2013, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    With the jumping, you can also turn your back, cross arms and walk away. Most dogs will jump on your front.. Its worked many times for me.. but when that fails.. knee to the chest is the next thing.
    I never even though about just turning my back to them. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work with Rascal, he'll actually come up from behind and to give his version of a hug (not a fan because it allows him to jump up, but sadly my husband and the kids think it's cute, and won't stop him from doing it despite my many protests). But it would work with Chewy. I'm going to try this next time. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2013, 12:37 PM
    Hope it works.. if they jump from behind just stick you foot out if you can feel them coming..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goldendoodle 2-yr old jumping problem [ 7 Answers ]

My goldendoodle jumps on everyone! I read an answer here... (another Q&A site) and have tried these ideas. My problem is with my young grandchildren who don't understand how to do this and my elderly parents who can't do this. I can put my dog in her crate when I have these visitors-but I'd rather...

Jumping and abs [ 1 Answers ]

Will jumping on a trampoline work my abs?

Jumping [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 5' 9'' and I can touch 9' 5'' rim and now I'm going to use air alert 3 to try and get me 2 dunk but I'm not sure it will help me enough so if anyone has done air alert before or someone has done a different program with amazing results please tell me

Jumping up [ 1 Answers ]

Any one know how to keep a dog from jumping on everyone ? My Beagle jumps up on everyone as soon as they get in the door she is very excitable. She loves company but they don't care for her jumping up and smelling there bottoms and just plain jumping up in general.. I know that if I was to take...

Jumping from one os to other [ 2 Answers ]

I have two operating systems (win xp &win 98se),I like to know how to jump from winxp to win 98se ,is there any software which can link both

View more questions Search