Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jleigh7326 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Custody adoption and custody
    My sister and her husband are having dilemma. She has a child from a relationship before she got with her husband at some point. The daughter now loves her step dad more than her real father who is living with a woman now also. My sister is trying to stay very opened minded and has done great for the past 2 years. This past weekend the daughter came home from visit with her real dad. She tells here mom "i NEVER want to go to his house again". This has gotten my sister upstand is thinking that she may want to have the step dad adopt her change her last name no child support just leave them alone. The real father is and has been paying child support every week for the 2 years. She has said to me many time that she is fearful that something will happen to her child if he continues to get here. He only has her 48 hours a month and doesn't call to see how she is or anything.. Although he signed the birth crt. Is it possible that he could take her to court and file for partial custody or if it is a possible situation that the court would let the step dad adopt her? The parents were never married , the child is 4 and can't legally make her own choices. Any help is better than none Thanks
    ericjenn03 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2007, 11:30 PM
    From personal experience and understanding the law as it was told to me, the father must sign away his rights for another man to adopt the child. Until that time comes, the mother legally has to make sure the visits continue, otherwise she will be held in contempt, which could mean jail time, suspension of license, and attorney's fees. If she feels some abuse or neglect is going on, she can ask for an investigation.
    I am not clear as to who currently has custody, and if it was given by a court. You have to have a ruling from a court to declare sole or joint custody. If there has been no court ruling, then both parents have a right to the child, and have "custody". If this is the case, I would advise your sister to take action immediately. (Better to have everything in writing then flying by the seat of your pants. Otherwise he could take the child and it would not be considered kidnapping.)

Most of the time, if abuse is not proven, the judge usually rules that both parties share custody with the mother being the primary residence of the child. A visitation schedule will be made, and child support calculated. It will be hard to prove that he is not fit unless there is something that you have not told us. A mothers fear is not enough to convince a judge that a father is unexceptable to care for his daughter.

I hope this helps, Jennifer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2007, 06:42 AM
    As Jennifer said, the bio father would have to relinquish his rights to allow your husband to adopt. However, since this would also mean your husband would take over financial responsibility allowing the bio father to stop child support, he might agree to it.

However, your daughter doesn't have a say in the matter. If the bio father wants to exercise his visitation and custodial rights, then she has to go along. The only way to stop them is to go to court and convince a judge why they should be stopped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody or the lack of custody [ 4 Answers ]

My sons father and I have never gone to court to determine custody. Well he just told me that he is sending my son in a week out of state to his grandmas for 6 weeks. I do not agree with that. Two weeks would have been OK. He already bought the ticket. Is there anyway I can legally stop...

Stepmother Adoption / Custody (FL) [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, this is the deal... My husbands exgirlfriend has never taken interest in her son. When I first started dating my now husband his son son was 3 months old. She was living with her grandparents and took off for days. At one point she dropped him off with us and never looked back. When he was...

Custody [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my situation... My husband and I separated in January of 2004. My son moved in with me until February of 2005 and then he decided that he wanted to live with his father because he missed his old school etc... I agreed to this because I knew he fealt strong about it and because I felt...

Ex now wants custody [ 2 Answers ]

I have custody of my 3 girls . My ex now wants custody of the girls . Because he has just now after 12 years of separation and divorce gotten himself a home . Now he has to pay his mortgage and utilities . He wants custody (I feel) so that he doesn't have to pay child support anymore . I have had...

Custody [ 2 Answers ]

Custody question -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have had custody of my son for 7 years now (he is 17 now) For the last three we have lived in Florida The judge in Pennsylvania granted the relocation against my ex's wishes The question...

View more questions Search