Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LizBorrud Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Steel Pipes, Clean Outs and Roots
    We just used trenchless technology to replace a pipe outside that had extensive root damage. Unfortunately this didn't fix the stoppage that we had. We just had a rooter service come in tonight and they went through a different clean out. They went 140 feet and were able to clear the stoppage. When they ran the camera down that clean out they were only able to go about 40 feet before they reached a turn that was too severe to get their camera through. They then tried a different clean out and were able to go about 40 feet. They saw a crack and some roots in the second clean out and think they know where it is.

They want to go into the laundry room and add a clean out, then run an ABS pipe(?) right next to the steel pipe. Basically bipass the steel pipe entirely.

We don't have a whole lot of confidence in their location of the pipes or their solution. But they were able to clear the stoppage, which was more than the two previous plumbers could do. (they were highly recommeded by two different plumbers/contractors)

We have a call into the contractor - the remodel was done in 99-00 - we just bought the house last year.

The first plumber that did the trenchless job said they thought the problem could be either that the contractor installed the pipe at an improper gradation (?), or that there might be a split between the old pipe and the new pipe (from the remodel) but because they couldn't clear the stoppage or get their cameras down there, they weren't sure.

We've spent a ton of money already and if they put in a clean out, they're going to have to tear up the concrete (we're on a slab).

What should we do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2007, 08:48 PM
    A good plumber and a SeeSnake (camera) can visualize and measure where your problem is located. They know exactly how many feet into the pipe they have gone and they can see each turn. What puzzles me about your info is they ran a cutter 140 ft. but could only get the camera 40 ft. The SeeSnake makes turns better than a cutter and it should not be stopped by a bend. I know I haven't answered your question but I'm trying to clearly see what's going on.
    LizBorrud Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 11:22 AM
    I don't know why they could get the cutter farther than the SeeSnake. I'll have to call and ask them. What the two plumbers have said is that they'll have to rip up the concrete slab to see what the problem is.

The second plumber went through a third clean out to try to see what was going on. And he used that beeping thing to find the pipes - he didn't seem very sure about where the problem was. He pointed out two different spots where it might have been.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extruding Steel [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to extrude steel?

Testing new lines with sealed stub-outs [ 4 Answers ]

Dumb question(s) time. I have just run new hot and cold water lines for a new vanity. I have stubbed them out for the eventual installation lf 1/2" compression 1/4 turm shut-off valves. My question is how can I test that branch for leaks when the water won't get there until I cut the sealed ends...

Help with try-outs [ 3 Answers ]

Hey my try-outs for my high school cheerleading suad is march on the sixteenth and I can't do a cartwheel that well or a roundoff and my toe touches aren't that well either do think I will make it and do you have anything you can say about it?

Frozen pipes - detecting burst pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Cold side of the kitchen faucet was frozen this a.m. Trickle returned this evening, followed by an immediate drop in hot faucet pressure - then some brownish water - the brownish water lasted 20 seconds - but the pressure is still low 1/3 pressure now and can get both some hot and some cold Have...

How to burn best quality DVD outs from NERO VISION 4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have uncompressed avi in 720/405 resolution. And I would like to burn a DVD as a NTSC formate. I used best setting in Nero. But the output is looking so bad. Can any one help me how to get a Best result from NERO...

View more questions Search