Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moe Oklahoma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2013, 08:14 PM
    Adult adoptee and child support
    Recently I adopted an adult, prior to the legal adoption he fathered a child does the legal adoption still obligate him or does it terminate as with a child who has been adopted?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 08:16 PM
    Your relationship with him does not affect his relationship with his child.

He is still obligated to the child.
    Moe Oklahoma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2013, 08:22 PM
    I asked this question because it appears that once a minor is adopted the natural ties to his biological ties sever thanks for the reply.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
    If a minor is adopted, his biological ties to his parents (and subsequently the families of his parents) are severed. Even if a minor has children and is adopted, the minor remains responsible for his or her offspring.

It works going up (severing parental rights and responsibilities of the adoptee's parents) but not down (adoption of a person will not affect their parental relationship with any children they might have).

Hope that makes it more clear!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 09:33 PM
    Congrats, you are now a grandparent,

Hope this adoption was not a ploy to get out of child support, since it will not work.
    Also since adult adoptions are rare, why was it done?

But he will owe child support, it does not stop it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2013, 05:18 AM
    Any question on law needs to include your general local as laws vary by area. But the answers have been correct. However, not every place allows adult adoption. So I'm curious as where this is and the reason for the adoption (usually its only for inheritance). And that bears on your question as now this child could be in line for an inheritance.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 29, 2013, 05:56 AM
    From the ID, I'd guess maybe OK, which does allow adult adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modifying Child Support when 2 children are considered 'Adult Child Attending School' [ 13 Answers ]

I have two children for which I pay child support. The youngest will be turning 18 in the next year; and the oldest will turn 20. Jumping even further ahead beyond next year when my eldest turns 21, I assume the younger child will then begin receiving the full ordered amount, unless the CS Order...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Inheritance rights of adult adoptee [ 4 Answers ]

AT 6 weeks I was given up by my birthmother for adoption in California. I am 40 years old and was reunited with my mother 9 years ago. She is a mother to me, mother in law to my husband and grandmother to my children. She died on Tuesday. I have one 1/2 sister with her but I don't know...

View more questions Search