Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kandimack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 11:03 AM
    House Guest rights in dc
    I invited a friend to come to DC to live with my mom (elderly and can't walk) as a live-in caretaker in exchange for room and board and a small styphen. It started rocky so I had her to sign an agreement that she was there for the sole purpose of providing care for my mom and if house rules were broken or if things didn't work out, we would agree to allow two weeks to vacate the premises. Things did not work out and she is no longer carring for my mom, was never charged for rent yet refuses to leave. Four weeks have past since we both agreed it was not working however she refuses to leave the home. She says she has rights to be there. What are her rights and what do I have to do get her out of the house.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2013, 11:09 AM
    I invited a friend to come to DC to live with my mom (elderly and can't walk) as a live-in caretaker
    Hello k:

The person you described is NOT a house guest. She's a tenant and you're bound by DC landlord/tenant laws. You can't re-write them even if you both agree. I didn't look them up, but MOST states require a WRITTEN 30 day notice to vacate. I'll bet DC does too.

Excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
    You have her served in writing for eviction... have proof she got it other than your word for it.

She is legally month to month. YOu MIGHT get away with a pay or quit... say since the arraingement was this job for exchange for rent... that job was worth X if we paid a professional to do it... you haven't performed the work for X months you owe us this amount for rent... serve a pay or quit for that full amount and you would get her out a lot sooner. But still serve her with the eviction notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illegal guest house... [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband and I moved In to a guest house on August 22nd a few days later we found out that we are living in a illegal guest house, It has no permits we only slept there for two nights and we wanted to move. We confronted our landlords and told them we wanted our deposit back and our rent they...

Guest now demanding tenant rights. [ 4 Answers ]

We took in a friend in need 7 months. Ago with no request for rent. Once employed(4mos. Later) he insisted I come up with a figure to charge him. I declined ,but he was adamant so I told him to give me what my daughter gave me as her contribution to the house,$40.00 a week. We had no "lease' . he...

Guest now demanding tenant rights. [ 1 Answers ]

We took in a friend in need 7 months. Ago with no request for rent. Once employed(4mos. Later) he insisted I come up with a figure to charge him. I declined ,but he was adamant so I told him to give me what my daughter gave me as her contribution to the house,$40.00 a week. We had no "lease' . he...

Being a guest in my own house [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so I haven't been on her in awhile cause everything is going good pretty much except for living with my family. I guess you could say I'm the outkast of the family :( my brother and mom and my moms loud mouth irrogant boyfriend all drink till they can't stand everyday right at about 5...

View more questions Search