Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria2day Posts: 94, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2013, 05:13 AM
    Salaried employee hours
    About 6 months ago, I was hired as a transportation manager for a trucking company. When I was hired, I was told my hours were from 8pm-6am, 4 days a week. They pay me a weekly salary. For the past few months, my boss has been insisting that I stay until 8 or sometimes 9am, until the morning shift manager decides to show up. I realize that I am a salaried employee, but when I was hired, we agreed on a work schedule. Is this legal? Can they make me work as many hours as they want to, because I am a salaried employee?
    maria2day Posts: 94, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2013, 05:16 AM
    By the way, I am in California
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2013, 09:12 AM
    Yeah.. that can make you work it... in fact even if you were salaried and paid for overtime (yeah it can happen) they can MAKE you work overtime even if you don't want to.

Been through that with the lawyers recently with someone close to me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 24, 2013, 09:37 AM
    No they can't make you do this. Indentured servitude was outlawed in the 14th amendment. But it is not illegal to require that you work until your relief comes in.

But if you refuse, you could lose your job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried employee works 2 hours, do I get paid for 8 hours? [ 5 Answers ]

If I'm a salaried employee, and work 2 hours in the office one day, then go home sick, does my employer have to pay me for 8 hours?

As a salaried employee what is the maximum hours you can work someone before compensa [ 2 Answers ]

As a salaried employee what is the maximum number of hours that an employeer can require you to work, for example 48 hours per week. If they can deduct hours for not being at work must they also compensate you if you work over lets say he 48 hrs. per week?

Salaried Exempy Employee paycheck docked 1 week pay for arriving 5 hours late [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, A friend and former colleague's paycheck was docked 1 week of pay (approx $2,000) for arriving at work 5 hours late due to car problems. She is a salaried exempt employee in the state of Connecticut. She receives 4 weeks vacation each year, and has over 2 weeks of accrued, unused...

Hours of a salaried employee laws [ 1 Answers ]

How many hours after 40 do I have to work?

View more questions Search