Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bridg84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2013, 02:06 PM
    Unwed and pregnant in Texas
    Hello, I am currently pregnant, unwed, living in Texas. My ex-boyfriend thinks he is supportive and going to be a "great dad," but in reality he cheated while I was pregnant, continues to talk to other women, he has not helped prepare for the baby at all, has not made any financial contributions towards deductibles, prenatal care, baby items, etc. He states everything will change "the day my son is born." This obviously will not really happen... Should he be listed as the father on the birth certificate? Should the baby have his last name? If he is not going to be emotionally or financially supportive I need to move back to the east coast for family support.
    cep822 Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Jun 18, 2013, 02:40 PM
    The question of should he is left to your discretion at this point since you are not married. You determine what goes on the birth certificate.

If you need to move for support with the baby, I would leave him off the certificate and move east before the baby is born. Since he is not on the birth certificate he would then need to file for custody/parenting time to get the baby, and he'd have to file in the baby's home state/county.

The only downside to that is you cannot then file for child support until paternity is established. However, it does not sound like you would get that anyway.

This is what my experience has been. It may be different in Texas, but I think at least jurisdiction has been federally standardized.
    cep822 Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Jun 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
    Yes,
    I just checked TX statute- you have sole physical and legal custody of the child until such a time as paternity is established.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cep822 View Post
    ...This is what my experience has been. It may be different in Texas, but I think at least jurisdiction has been federally standardized.
    It is standardized, but Federal standards have nothing to do with it.

Jurisdiction for custody and visitation is a matter of state law, albeit a uniformly adopted one. Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 04:07 PM
    Texas is a putative father state. It is possible for your "ex" to sign the putative father registry prior to the birth of your child, thus making you stay in the State of Texas, or return after the birth of the child.

As for the last name on the birth certificate, that is your choice, but remember that baby may grow up without this man in his life, or another man he calls "daddy."

At this point in time he is not required to provide any monetary assistance with the pregnancy.
    Bridg84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2013, 04:19 PM
    So if I have the baby in Texas and then move to nj after he is born, that would complicate things? He is not going to think of or look into filing paperwork ahead of time. He is far too self centered. And when he finds out the baby's name has changed from what we planned together he will probably lose interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower invitation for unwed mother, I don't approve of unwed parenting [ 4 Answers ]

I was invited to a baby shower for my husband's cousin's 20 year old unwed daughter. I only know of her, not sure when I last saw her. I don't approve of having a baby out of wedlock especially when the mother is young and uneducated. I think this is just a way of getting lots of presents. How...

Unwed 17 yr old in VA pregnant [ 9 Answers ]

I'm writing for my daughter who is 17 yrs. Old and 9 months pregnant. She was 16 when she conceived and the father of the child is now 20 (19 at conception). She was living with her father at the time 6 hours away from me. She left my home because my husband and I forbid her relationship with the...

View more questions Search