Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peg F Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2013, 09:31 AM
    In CA is it legal to copy a driver's license
    My daughter was house sitting my apt, while I was out of town (there has been break-ins in the complex), and locked herself out. She explained why she was there, and asked management to let her in (explaining her children was asleep inside). She showed her ID, (since she uses my address as her mailing address) she thought that would help. The manager wouldn't let her in and took her ID, copied it, and call the police, all the while the children were still in the apt. alone!! The police came and told her to let my daughter in! Did she have a legal right to copy the ID? Also, she left a paper on my door, saying my daughter "the occupant" must leave my home or she will evict me! Please offer any advice that might help, thank you, Peggy
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2013, 09:39 AM
    Just out of curiosity, why is your daughter claiming your address as her address? I can understand that management is confused. Does she live there or does she not.

I think management showed good judgment in letting the Police make the final call here. What is you and your daughter were estranged and management let her in?

Does management not allow people who are not on the lease to stay in the apartment? Is this some sort of subsidized housing?

I can find nothing about photocopying drivers licenses. I am in NY where it is not illegal - but I appreciate that doesn't help you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 06:24 PM
    I agree with JudyKayTee.

And for the manager to photocopy the ID was a very reasonable thing to do. Why do you have any problem with that?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 08:27 PM
    In CA, my driver's license is copied at every doctor office I go to along with my insurance card. My son had his copied to open a bank account. I'd rather have someone verify the information rather than taking someone else's word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to keep a copy of someone's ID (driver's) in the lease file? [ 7 Answers ]

Once the lease file is complete and the resident is moved in, is it legal to keep a copy of the resident's ID in the file?

Last name is different on because and driver's license [ 4 Answers ]

I was born in Puerto Rico and my birth certificate has my dad's last name as my third name. My mom's last name as my last name, but all my documents are under my dad's last name. I am going on a cruise and my travel agent said that there is going to be a problem because my last name on my BC is...

Request copy of Driver's License? [ 2 Answers ]

It is my understanding that we can ask for a copy of a person's Driver's License, but not insist if they prefer not to cooperate. Is it legal to ask for the copy? Thanks

View more questions Search