Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    as_brown2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2013, 12:04 AM
    Night terrors
    My son is 6.5 years old. Within the last 2 weeks, he has woke up screaming, crying, and shaking on 3 different nights. During this episode, he calls to me to comfort him but at the same time he's looking at me like I'm a stranger and his face is pale. He says he has a bad dream about his bed being lifted off the ground and going in a fast back and forth motion. After about 30 minutes, he will finally calm down and go back to sleep, but within 20 minutes it happens all over again. He then cries because he says he don't understand why he's shaking and can't get to stop. Could this be night terrors? What caould I do to help comfort him?
    Thanks for your advice!
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Jun 17, 2013, 01:08 AM
    If you haven't consulted a doctor then first take medical opinion.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 17, 2013, 01:57 AM
    I agree, he might need an EEG to be checked for something like epilepsy.
    Can he sleep with you for a week?
    Tc123 Posts: 64, Reputation: 7

Jun 22, 2013, 10:30 PM
    I certainly don't want to give you incorrect information. I had this for quite some time. I would not remember what I dreamed about. I would also shake but most people do not remember their dreams if they don't write them down. They can seen very real at the time. I am afraid to tell you too much without knowing more except I don't think there is anything wrong with your child out of the norm. Really. But as others have said, just in case, get it checked out. I don't want to ask too many personal questions since you have not invited. In that case, I cannot suggest what may possibly be creeping up while he sleeps. There could indeed be a host of things or maybe nothing. So just for your peace of mind and his, get it checked out if you can. Good luck and be well!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2013, 10:52 PM
    Perhaps it is just bad dreams, children have them, and are not awake but seem to be, when you try to help them.

Without knowing other medical issues, changes in personal life, changes in his life, other events that have happen, minor to you, maybe major to him. What is his TV watching habits, food he is eating, all of this, and together in combinations could also.
    BARBARAKT Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 03:40 AM
    My daughter was waking up screaming for no reason for about a week. Prior to that I had her babysitter keep her for 2 days because my dad was in the hospital out of state. I mentioned it to the babysitter and she said it was probably because my daughter woke up screaming one night because the light was shining through the window and a really big spider was on the wall... for real. The babysitter then told me that she did not kill spiders because the kept the bugs away. I felt awful, I felt so bad I changed babysitters.
    snb207 Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Jun 25, 2013, 09:54 AM
    My son had something similar. Turns out he had scarring on the frontal lobe of his brain. It took an EEG to find this out. He eventually out grew the episodes.. Take the boy to a doctor for a diagnosis and testing. It's the only way to know for certain. It could be something else entirely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night Terrors. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone, Ive had night terror's all my life, and never completley grew out of it. Im now 26. Last night was a rather bad episode, as well as a surprising one, because I haven't had them for a month or so, and it scared the daylights out of my fiancée. When I woke up to see her upset, I...

Night Terrors [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has night terrors and scratches her face in the same spots every time. She has only recalled the terror one time (when my other daughter witnessed it and tried to wake her up). She is 22 years old, has been having the terrors for about 5 years, and it happens about every 3 months. ...

Re occurring night terrors of someone trying to kill me [ 3 Answers ]

I am 41 y/o and have these, what I call night terrors, for at least 20 yrs where someone chases me then corners me in small dark places and is violently trying to kill me. In my night terror I try to scream but I am paralyzed and my scream won't come out of my mouth. My children and others who are...

Night terrors, anxiety/panic attacks, and extream abuse. [ 6 Answers ]

HI guys, I've been away for a long time. Well, I can't talk about that now but I can say this, I need information for a girl friend. SHe has anxiety/panic attacks and says she feels like her heart will explode. As some of you may know, I am pretty familure with such things, however,...

View more questions Search