Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuckd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 02:14 AM
    Army sign-on bonus
    Hello,
    I am a US Soldier trying to file taxes. Last year I got a sign-on bonus of 10k, and they taxed 2500 out of that. This isn't on my W-2, and I never got a 1099 (or anything else). How do I report this, and will I get any of that 2500 back?
    jkramer Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Call the finance department on base or in your unit... they should be able to help... my ex has this same problem
    HOOAH
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Are you SURE the bonus in not on the W-2? That kind of information is almost always on the W-2.

Of course, if you were in the war zone in SWA, the bonus money may be tax-exempt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign-on bonus question [ 3 Answers ]

I had received a sign-on bonus last year, so it appeared as an income last year and I have paid taxes on it. As I did not complete one year with the company I had to return my sign-on bonus this year. How do I claim already paid taxes?

What to do with a Sign-on-bonus [ 1 Answers ]

Can I have my sign on bonus given for 2006 tax year even though I started working January 8th, 2007? I don't like how my $5000 sign on bonus reads: 10% simple interest if I do not stay 3 years, payable upon termination, and that if they took me to court I may have to pay their court costs. I...

Sign on bonus repayments [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody help me please? I already asked my accountant but it seems like he doesn't know what to tell me. Here is my situation: I got a 10,000 sign on bonus net is only 5700 with a 24 month contract I got the Part A of bonus in 2005 Part B in 2006 I left Jan 2007 ( only completed 18 months...

Another sign on bonus question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about a sign on bonus I just received in May. It was for 21,500 and after taxes I received approximately 12,800 dollars. I have been working for the company for a few months now, and now am moving out of the agreed area for my bonus to be effective. Is there any way...

Sign-on bonus - taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live and work in nyc and am considering taking a position with a company in New Jersey. They are offering me a sign-on bonus and I was curious what percentage I would need to pay in taxes and if that would be deducted up-front. Is a sign-on bonus treated the same as a "regular" bonus...

View more questions Search