Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FLNovice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Tax Law, reducing taxpayers IRS debt
    How does it work a company says they can reduce your IRS debt to pennies on the dollar. What connection do they have with the IRS that they can cut a deal when they won't even give the average taxpayer the time of day. What % does the law firm keep for their fee?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Hello FL:

I don't know. Call 'em up and ask. I'm sure it's not a secret. I can tell you this, though; they don't have any connections with the government. They don't do anything that you couldn't do yourself.

I don't know what you mean by the time of day. Do you have a debt with the IRS? Have you called them on the telephone? Have you told them that you want to settle your debt?? You did, and they won't give you the time of day?? They don't want your money??

Dude, you're fibbing.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Many that I have seen have ex IRS attorneys that work for them.

There are actually many programs that allow for tax write offs, but normally you have to owe 10,000 or more in back taxes to even qualify.
    ** I found out when my wife and I marreid, she had some tax issues from a business she closed.

But this is basically nothing that a attorney could not do, if they knew the tax code, but the tax code is so complex, almost no normal attorney or person knows them.

So bascicly instead of knowing they will be tied up in hearings and motions and courts for years, they settle.

But it is basically people using their own red tape against them
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Mar 22, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Be really careful of companies, even CPA's or even attorney's who CALL YOU and offer to try to reduce your tax liability to "pennies on the dollar" - it's a very difficult thing to accomplish even with their help, rare the IRS does this, very, very rare ! You might end up paying a very high fee then to be told "well, we tried". If you really want to pursue this with the IRS, then YOU make the call to a legit CPA or tax attorney and YOU get their opinion. Do not fall for companies, ads on TV, or other that CALL YOU - you make the call not them but to a qualified trained professional that has not called you. See if you can get a straight answer/ opinion. That's my two cents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the Tax law for paying taxes [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find the actual tax code requiring individuals to pay income tax on wages earned?:confused: Cannot find the code anywhere under Title 26.

L1 Visa Limitations (Law, Tax, Etc.) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend who is now in USA and granted for working visa. However, his visa is L1, that is, he is an employee exchange by the foreign-counterpart of US company. Currently, the US company cannot offer any projects and he has been staying at home for 2 months. He would like to work...

IRS tax lien [ 5 Answers ]

I owe over $11000 in back federal tax for 1996. Can the IRS put a lien on the home we live in when the house is in my wife's name and only I owe the back tax? I am paying $5 a month on this bill but have signed no payment agreement with the IRS. Will the 10 year statute of limitation on federal tax...

IRS Tax filling from out of USA [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Expert and other expert friends, Thank you for your contribution and helping individuals. I have question regarding taxes. On October 1, 2005, my status was change from F1 to H1B. During Mid November I took extended vacation to visit India and gave my company Indian postal...

View more questions Search