Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1211564494 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2013, 02:34 AM
    Pa law who owns trees on a boarder
    Neighbor cut down a large tree on the property line without our knowledge the trunk of the 5foot or so diameter lies mostly on their side of the line but the roots and about 1 and a half feet are on our side .did they have a the right to remove this healthy tree without asking me?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2013, 02:57 AM
    For all practical purposes, cutting down the major vertical portion that was just on their land would kill what was on your land, so they were doing you a favor. They do have the right to take down what is on their land (and the tree obviously was within their border 100% when it was planted). Most laws allow people to even cut branches hanging over their land.

Should they have discussed it with you? It would have been the neighborly thing to do. But they didn't have to.
    Some border disputes come under local ordinance, where towns set more detailed laws, so you can ask your town.
    Border disputes often have so many variables that no law or ordinance can detail them all, and they end up in court.
    Roots generally mean little except when they are tearing out a retaining wall or invading a foundation or waste pipes, and in most cases are the basis for a claim to get rid of them and the tree that is on a neighbor's property, not a claim to keep a tree.
    Sorry.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2013, 03:29 AM
    If the tree was mostly on their property, then it was their tree. Clearly it was planted on their property and grew to where it encroached on your property.

So, yes they had every right to cut it down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pa tree law and nuisance trees laws trees [ 4 Answers ]

My neighbor has a 20 foot long tree limb hanging 30 feet up in his tree. It is over our quiet street where residence walk daily to the park situated @ the end of the lane. I have notified him and the tree still lurks there. Resting on a larger branch which has supported it since it broke off...

Hurricane Sandy, fallen trees. What does the law say? [ 1 Answers ]

My neighbor's tree was unrooted by hurricane sandy. It fell directly in my back yard. Who is responsible for cleaning up the mess? The entire yard is full of the rather large tree.

Fence law, property line, trees, Nebraska [ 10 Answers ]

I live in a suburb of Lincoln Nebraska. My neighbor has been a royal pain for years. He has several trees that shed Helicopters in the spring and loads of leaves in the fall. They hang over my property and prevent sunshine from melting snow and ice in the winter. His latest thing is that he paid to...

Baltimore County tenant & boarder with "in-law suite" issues [ 7 Answers ]

Firstly- thank you very much for your time (this one is going to take up a good bit of it): My situation is a bit complex.. I am (very thankfully) 3 months from the conclusion of my lease. I currently rent what my landlord has purported to be an "in-law suite" (I have had no success in finding...

Trees and neighbor law [ 4 Answers ]

:mad: my neighbor has a 60 ft sruce tree less than 10 ft from my house.year around it deposits needles and pine cones in all my gutters and all over my patio, the gutters are being destroyed by the needles since they clump up all winter and freezes and thaws make the gutter hold water instead of it...

View more questions Search