Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maddie04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Teacher hurt in classroom
    I am a Third Grade teacher in Pennsylvania, while I was walking the halls monitoring classrooms during an inside recess, I heard students in my classroom yelling. I ran to my room and found 3 of my students trying to hold up a large dry erase white board (4 ft by 6 ft) that was coming off the wall on one end. I got everyone out of the way and as I turned to inspect the board the entire thing came off the wall hitting me in the head. I immediately reported it to the office and nurse. I was sent to the hospital for x-rays. I have compressed vertebrae and muscle spasms in my neck. I was told that in order to qualify for workmens comp. I must first use 7 of my own sick/personal days before it could start. Is this true in all work settings or just my school dist. The dr. is not sure how soon I will be able to return. I have only just recently returned to work after taking time off for maternity leave. I have only 5 sick/personal days left.

I also found out after the incident that the custodian was aware of the problem with the whiteboard being loose on one end and assured the substitute that he would fix it. I have witnesses who heard him being told of the problem and saying he would take care of it. He now denies any knowledge of the problem.

Can I demand that the district not take my time away from me since this in no way was my fault? Even though the injury was not more severe should I get a lawyer and sue the district for negligence?

I'm really confused as to which way to turn.

Thanks for any help
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 22, 2007, 02:03 PM
    I would definatelty consult a lawyer on this one. If they expect you to use some of your own personal days they are taking those away from you because of an injury caused by their negligence. They should be glad a child wasn't killed.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2007, 03:57 PM
    I agree - get an attorney who specializes in worker's comp. They are aggressive and have this special instinct it seems. I would not take what the school told me as gospel. I guess because I think an employer will try anything and everything to gyp an employee out of their rights and benefits, and also to deny wrongdoings.

When you saw your doctor, you should have filled out the worker's comp papers right then. Get supporting documentation from the person who told you the maintenance person/custodian knew about the problem. Your attorney will subpoena that custodian if necessary.

Don't let the school district get by with this. If they try to intimidate you with your employment status, you can fight that too. Remember to document everything and everyone involved in this. Your own students can even testify.

Best of everything to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Workers comp starts from the first day of the accident, they have to pay all of your lost wages, and all of your medical bills, and no, you are not required to use any personal or vacation days for this.

Now it may take a while to actually get paid by workers comp, you will not be getting a check from the school, So you need to make sure they have filed a claim with the workders comp insurance company. You need to talk to the HR of your school disctrict someone is lying to you as for as my opinon. I have not mananged in NY for a while, but that is how it used to be, and how it is in the several states I have busienss dealings in now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Hurt my Teacher she might Sue help me! [ 19 Answers ]

Hi OK just going to ask you to please help me but first ull tell you the story Ok I was sitting in class with an alcohol tester that (had a red laser on the bottom of it ) So when I was demonstateing how the achol tester worked to my friend right beside me and the laser got the teacher in the eye...

Stupid teacher [ 7 Answers ]

I'm doing as level art at my college at the moment, and I am SO close to dropping it because of my stupid teacher. She has made 3-4 of the people in my class cry because of her criticisms and favouritism, she bangs on about how we can take our art in any direction she wants and then shackles us...

Teacher needs help [ 7 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old student with the following characteristics: Volitle.. emotionally, not physically Mild to moderately paranoid Dislikes most people, yet is very sweet and clingy to me No social skills Immature Insecure Gets very loud and emotional Repeats phrases... I hate you... you...

Classroom Management Questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am taking a course on classroom management at my college and for one of our assignments we are to ask a teacher several questions about their teaching and perceptions of classroom management. There are a bundle of questions, so if you only have time to answer a few or none, please don’t worry...

View more questions Search