Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    molyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2013, 02:51 PM
    Vehicle sold without my permission or signature
    I am going through a divorece, both vehicles were registered in my name. I recently found out that one of the vehicles was sold and someone signed my name to the bill of sale. What can be done about this.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 1, 2013, 03:35 PM
    Since you posted this in the divorce forum I'm guessing that you know who sold the car out from under you - your soon-to-be ex, correct? What to do about it depends on what you want to have happen. Perhaps you can use this as ammunition in negotiations in the divorce, because this is actually theft. What does your lawyer say about it?

Alternatively you can call the police and file a report of theft. Get a police report, and call your insurance company to report the car missing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 1, 2013, 03:53 PM
    You can also sue in small claims court for the value of the car or the proceeds from the sale.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 2, 2013, 09:13 AM
    It's forgery (minimally) - that's the criminal part.

The car registration was solely in your name?

In my State - NY - the civil end of this would be part of the divorce. Once the divorce is finalized you are "probably" precluded from taking any other action stemming from marital property or individual property during the marriage.

Your Attorney will address this in the Court papers. Why isn't he/she addressing it now? Why are you posting here instead of getting your Attorney's advice?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My wife sold my house with out my permission, and took al the proceeds of the sale? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife took all the money from the sale of my home, after I told not to sell the home. She gave the buyer an extension without my permission. The buyer did not qualified for the first closing, so I told her to keep the $ 20,000.00 down payment. She did not follow my advice at all, and when I...

Vehicle sold without knowledge of other owner [ 1 Answers ]

In a divorce summary, the wording regarding the vehicle says only that the Petitioner, husband, shall undertake and pay the following debts and will indemnify, defend and hold the Respondent, wife, harmless therefrom: I) Outstanding debt on the 2005 Jeep Liberty In the same divorce as an...

House sold without my permission [ 7 Answers ]

I have a court order stating that My brother and I get the first right to buy a house that my step-mother sold. The court order also stated that we get a percentage of the sale if we did not buy it. Who is responsible the title company for letting the sale go through or my step-mother? We have not...

Getting permission to take 16yr old over the border without fathers signature. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters father is MIA and is wanted by police for assaulting her in November. I am getting married in the US. She is 16. If we can't get him to sign the travel papers what do we do?

View more questions Search