Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LopEaredGaloot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
    Barred Windows...
    I live in a bad neighborhood.

As an example: I just had a brand new microwave stolen from outside my front door _inside_ the apartment house.

As a function of rendering a sunny side, ground level, studio apartment liveable for summer, I would like to purchase a window mount air conditioner.

My problem is that the windows are sliders with about 18" of horizontal space and there are bars on the outside which are less than 12" from the window itself. I also routinely have squirrels clambering up the window screens with no desire to have critters or anyone else inside my apartment due to a gap above an A/C installation.

On the good side of this equation, the windowsill itself is almost 12" wide.

So...

Given I am investing in black out curtains to help keep the ambient heat levels down and privacy intact while I also don't want to have my A/C ripped out of an insecure window mount, is there any practical, 'micro' class, A/C unit that I could bolt onto the windowsill itself which could vent through the screen and not drip moisture down the wall?

I am hoping for a recommendation on a limited installation footprint, low volume BTU requirement, low budget, unit. It's a tiny room. It doesn't need much but a fan won't cut it because the sun bakes the parking lot outside to just under how-do-you-want-your-eggs levels by late afternoon. LINKS appreciated.

Thank You, KPl.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 22, 2013, 01:15 PM
    How about a portable air conditioner?

Portable Air Conditioners - Air Conditioners - Air Conditioners & Coolers - Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot
    LopEaredGaloot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 04:51 PM
    Odinn7,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am looking more towards a 150-200 dollar range (500 dollar a month budget) similar to this-

Frigidaire Mini Window Air Conditioner - Walmart.com

But I must admit this unit-

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ryId=202562960

Looks serviceable, if it doesn't have to exhaust outside.

My only question then being that it recommends against using an extension cord. Since there are all of two, three prong, outlets in this apartment, a power cord and multiprong surge protector are all but inevitable.

Can you explain what the issue is and if it's a serious one (my replacement microwave is going to be on the same circuit if it makes a difference... )?

Thanks- KPl.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 22, 2013, 05:23 PM
    I'm sorry but I can't really answer that part of it for you. I have used extension cords for AC units before but I have always made sure that they were rated for an AC unit or higher and never had a problem.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2013, 05:28 PM
    Cords can be used, but it will need to be a very heavy duty one, made for the amp usage.

I will say that in a high crime area, yes they will get ripped from the window often for the metal in them. Or to be resold or pawned. While higher in price, if you buy a cheaper one, and it is stolen, are you really ahead.

Also, why did you leave a microwave outside apartment, even in a good area, that will be stolen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute barred - judgement [ 2 Answers ]

If there has been a judgement for collection, and nothing has been done for 7 years, does it fall within the statute barred? I don't have a copy of the judgement, but a collector had one for a loan over 7 years ago. It has been taken off my credit report in May. Does it still stand or have...

Evict tenant barred by RO [ 9 Answers ]

I have a restraining order against a tenant living in a rental ynit on my property. Di I also have to evict him since he cannot be within 100 yards of my family?

Time barred [ 1 Answers ]

What does "time barred" mean and how does it work concerning credit card debt?

Statute Barred or not? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a collection agency that just started hounding me. The same agency had a negative report placed on my credit report last year. I had it removed because it is WELL over the statute of limitations. Now, months later, I get a letter saying that collection proceedings will be initiated if...

View more questions Search