Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    workingslave 1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 06:00 AM
    Is it legal for a salaried employee to work 40 hour work weeks for 2 months and recei
    I work for a bible college who have asked all their salaried employees to work for half pay for 2 months because of a budget crisis is that legal
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 06:10 AM
    Yes, they may ask.

And unless there is a contract, they may also cut your pay anytime they want. There is a national min salary to be on salary. (without having to pay overtime) but yes, asking employees to take pay cuts ( often not temp ones) is very normal the last few years.

If they are just reqesting, you can say no of course. If they are forcing it, they may as long as they do not go under state or fed min.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a salaried employee and often work 12-16 14hr days in a row with no day off. [ 5 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee and often work 12-16 14hr days in a row with no day off. When I have requested a day off during the regular work week, I am told that I will have to take it unpaid or use a vacation day. This doesn't seem fair. I am beginning to burn out. Do salaried employees have no...

Salaried employee required to work Saturdays for free [ 2 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee who regularly works 9 hours or more daily in a 5 day work week. The boss told me today that I am going to be required to work Saturdays for 4 hours, but I could not claim any time as a day or partial day because I am salaried. My contract calls for me to work 205 days a...

Is it legal for my boss to ask me not to go to work for 2 weeks? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a part time job and no specific hour agreed between my boss and myself. On the ad, it mentioned about 20-40 hours a week though. After four days on the job, on the fifth day, I boss called and told me no need to go in for the day. (It was fine with me since it was a Friday.) The...

If you are a 40 hour per week salaried employee [ 5 Answers ]

If you are a 40 hour a week salaried employee and most weeks you work more like 50 if you work less than an 8 hour day occasionally does your employer still have to pay you?

As a salaried employee what is the maximum hours you can work someone before compensa [ 2 Answers ]

As a salaried employee what is the maximum number of hours that an employeer can require you to work, for example 48 hours per week. If they can deduct hours for not being at work must they also compensate you if you work over lets say he 48 hrs. per week?

View more questions Search