Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConfusedCowgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 04:17 PM
    Mental illness not flushing toilet
    My 71 year old aunt started not flushing the toilet two years ago. She seems to not care about her surroundings and starts multiple projects without finishing them. She is angry one minute then a little while later happy and pleasant. What is happening? I am very concerned...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 04:28 PM
    Does she live with you? Has a family member taken her to a doctor or gone with her to a doctor and asked about this?
    Comeandgetme12 Posts: 99, Reputation: -5

Apr 10, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Sounds to me like she is just getting old and forgetful, however it could be more extreme. You should take her to the doctor because she could have an illness like Alzheimers disease or maybe even dementia which both could be serious, but I am no doctor. Some people act differently and more forgetful after strokes. But since you said this has been going on for 2 years that is probably not the issue or the only issue. I hope helped you, but PLEASE take this little old lady to the doctor.
    Zea Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Apr 10, 2013, 07:58 PM
    Hey, there.

Okay, there are thousands of possibilities; here is what I think:

Maybe, your aunt cares to flush the toilet, but forgets.

Changes in mood, forgetting, and if she finds it hard to complete daily tasks or projects- these are all indications of Alzheimer's disease.

Most importantly, is your aunt forgetful? If yes, than it might be Alzheimer.

I am not a doctor. But I highly encourage your aunt to see one.

Good luck.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zea View Post
    Changes in mood, forgetting, and if she finds it hard to complete daily tasks or projects- these are all indications of Alzheimer’s disease.
    Be careful. Please do not try to diagnose. There could be other reasons for not flushing, etc.
    Zea Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Apr 10, 2013, 10:30 PM
    Yes, I know; I only said "Maybe, your aunt cares... ", "it might be Alzheimer", and "here is what I think " I did not mark my opinion as a fact. You can never know for sure without a physical examination. "Changes in mood, forgetting, and if she finds it hard to complete daily tasks or projects- these are all indications of Alzheimer's disease." Yes, I said that, and I said they are indications but I did not say that his/her aunt has Alzheimer.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zea View Post
    Yes, I know; I only said "Maybe, your aunt cares...", "it might be Alzheimer", and "here is what I think " I did not mark my opinion as a fact. You can never know for sure without a physical examination. "Changes in mood, forgetting, and if she finds it hard to complete daily tasks or projects- these are all indications of Alzheimer’s disease." Yes, I said that, and I said they are indications but I did not say that his/her aunt has Alzheimer.
    But you didn't mention stroke, medication interactions, circulation problems, dehydration, a vitamin deficiency, poor nutrition, problems with the thyroid gland, or a possible minor head injury, but just repeated Alzheimer's as a possibility. Yes, a doctor is the next stop.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2013, 01:01 PM
    I'm with WG - the health boards are the same as the legal boards. We take great pride in our answers. Please don't guess or offer a diagnosis.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 13, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm with WG - the health boards are the same as the legal boards. We take great pride in our answers. Please don't guess or offer a diagnosis.
    My husband forgets to flush, starts projects and often doesn't finish them, but it's not because of Alzheimer's. :D
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
    So does my stepgrandson.

Of course, he's 3.

Is your husband older than 3?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 13, 2013, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Is your husband older than 3?
    Wait a sec. Let me ask him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mental illness [ 1 Answers ]

My bofriend has been in mental health now 4 times this year but now he has a order to stay in there until he sees someone for his mental illness of bipolar and paranoia s I know he needs help but I miss him,does this mean he has to stay until they feel like he's getting better I don't understand

Do I have a mental illness? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I'm 13 and know that there has to be something wrong with me cause I'm obsessed with girls and their parts and I masturbate about 6 times a week.. . Now that I have that off my chest, I need to know is this some kind of stage or am I just a sick and twisted person? Is this normal? Am I strange?...

Mental illness [ 6 Answers ]

How do u help someone that dose not think there is anything wrong with them?? Everyone in our family thinks he`ll just get better... but it`s just getting worse!! I use to be the only one my brother trusted, but now he won't even talk to me:( ///I love him and would never be able to forgive myself...

Mental illness vs physical illness [ 6 Answers ]

I need advise on what to do about my older sister. She is 57 years old and has spent most of her adult life in and out of hospitals. Although she does have some real medical problems she constantly complains about her health. She is fairly dependent on pain medications although she denies...

Do I have mental illness [ 6 Answers ]

Do I have mental illness?I can't control my anger always.. I easily get mad and want to turned something to a big fight always.. How do I deal with my anger management problem?is there any medication for this?

View more questions Search