Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carlosalberto Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2013, 06:29 PM
    The contactor on my carrier heat pump sometimes do not stay close it opens and closes
    The contactor closes and opens very rapidly, sometimes it works fine, I replaced the contactor and the arking destroy the new one, what can cause that problem?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2013, 06:40 PM
    There could be any of several causes including, but not limited to: Incorrect refrigerant charge causing a pressure switch to break & make the control circuit; bad defrost board; faulty control circuit (could be anywhere).

Apr 5, 2013, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady White View Post
    There could be any of several causes including, but not limited to: Incorrect refrigerant charge causing a pressure switch to break & make the control circuit; bad defrost board; faulty control circuit (could be anywhere).
    Thanks for your help, I replaced the defrost board, the contactor and install a new thermostat; Incorrect refrigerant charge I did not think about it but maybe the low pressure switch is doing it, what do you think about a weak transformer?

Apr 5, 2013, 06:54 PM
    Maybe the fan contral board?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2013, 03:04 PM
    A weak transformer would certainly do it. So could the fan control board if it controls more than just the fan as it probably does. You would likely need a fast acting voltmeter or an analog meter to catch the transformer. Transformers rarely act like that. Usually if they are weak, they are weak all the time. I'd be inclinded to suspect the board.

Apr 6, 2013, 03:57 PM
    A weak transformer would certainly do it. So could the fan control board if it controls more than just the fan as it probably does. You would likely need a fast acting voltmeter or an analog meter to catch the transformer. Transformers rarely act like that. Usually if they are weak, they are weak all the time. I'd be inclinded to suspect the board.
    Thanks again man, I will try both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installed a honeywell pro6000 stat on a carrier heat pump, cooling mode is heat pump [ 2 Answers ]

Installed a honeywell pro6000 stat on a carrier heat pump, cooling mode is heat pump

I have a Carrier 24HNA636A310 Heat pump. Does the Heat pump mode run on both speeds? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a new Carrier Infinity 25HNA636A310 compressor. Does it run in both speeds when in heat mode

Replacing contactor on our heat pump [ 5 Answers ]

My husband is changing a 1 pole contactor to a 2 pole contactor on our air conditioner. The problem is he is not sure which wires go where. Could you please help.

DVD drawer opens and closes when computer is on [ 1 Answers ]

Installed a new internal HP DVD drive. When I turn on the computer, the DVD drawer continues to open and close. Very annoying. I have unplugged then reconnected the drive's connections as suggested by someone but this only helped a short time. Help?

Heat pump contactor sticking [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told my old trane unit has a contactor problem- the indoor fan runs but the outside unit comes on sometimes but not always- an a.c. guy came out and scraped the contactor a little and that seemed to help for a day or so and then it started acting erratic again, but not near as erratic...

View more questions Search