Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luqui80 Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 04:19 AM
    Property Insurance company not covering my dog.
    Hello everyone, I just received a call from my insurance broker saying that the property insurance I had before had been sold to Plymouth Rock. They are saying that since it was sold and we have a German Shepherd (10yr old) that they won't cover us because of he's breed. Our original property insurance did cover my dog because they made an exception since he has never bit anyone or created any trouble. (He's really the biggest baby ever!) So my question is, can Plymouth Rock legally drop us? They bought the company and now they are not wanting to accept the conditions of the company they bought.

I personally think this is bull, and I would get another company but almost no insurance companies cover German Shepherds.

Thanks for your help!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 04:29 AM
    They do not have to renew your policy, they should be required to insure you according to all of the terms and conditions ( in writing) of your current policy, but do not have to renew it
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 4, 2013, 05:02 AM
    They can drop you legally as long as they are consistent across the board. They do this all the time, and with dogs, it's getting ridiculous. I would suggest going without for a while and them finding another company and saying you have no dog or say he's a golden retriever.

I live in an area with a high elderly population and one by one every single Medicare supplement plan has left the state except for AARP.

I spent months trying to deal with a storm damage claim for my parents. The company was absolutely awful, and when they finally reimbursed, their list didn't even gibe with mine at all, as though it was someone else's. I gave up.

I have a wood stove, and the metal plate on the ceiling isn't quite the minimum size required for insurance, so I have none. I know that if I ever had a claim they would deny it, because they deny whatever they can get away with. So I consider myself self-insured for now while I think it out.

HO insurance is a big ripoff.

Apr 4, 2013, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    They can drop you legally as long as they are consistent across the board. They do this all the time, and with dogs, it's getting ridiculous. I would suggest going without for a while and them finding another company and saying you have no dog or say he's a golden retriever.

I live in an area with a high elderly population and one by one every single Medicare supplement plan has left the state except for AARP.

I spent months trying to deal with a storm damage claim for my parents. The company was absolutely awful, and when they finally reimbursed, their list didn't even gibe with mine at all, as though it was someone else's. I gave up.

I have a wood stove, and the metal plate on the ceiling isn't quite the minimum size required for insurance, so I have none. I know that if I ever had a claim they would deny it, because they deny whatever they can get away with. So I consider myself self-insured for now while I think it out.

HO insurance is a big ripoff.
    Can you really just not have property insurance?
    current pert

Apr 4, 2013, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by luqui80 View Post
    Can you really just not have property insurance?!
    I own my house outright. Lenders will require it to close, but don't they stop asking after the first year? Or are you paying PITI (prin/int/tx/ins)?

Apr 4, 2013, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I own my house outright. Lenders will require it to close, but don't they stop asking after the first year? Or are you paying PITI (prin/int/tx/ins)?
    I don't own outright.
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to start shopping around. Anyone know of insurance companies that cover dogs like German Shepherds or will I just have to forget that I have a 100lb 10yr old dormant beast in my house? Haha.
    current pert

Apr 4, 2013, 05:26 AM
    You forgot.
    It's a dog eat dog world for us (people) vs them (people)!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by luqui80 View Post
    I don't own outright.
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to start shopping around. Anyone know of insurance companies that cover dogs like German Shepherds or will I just have to forget that I have a 100lb 10yr old dormant beast in my house? Haha.
    He may be a dormant beast to you, but would not be to someone he thought was a threat to you.

Apr 4, 2013, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    He may be a dormant beast to you, but would not be to someone he thought was a threat to you.
    These banned dogs lists are a joke. They should make the dog owners have to pass the obedience test, not the dogs. Dogs behave the way their owners teach them. And if someone does step into my house that's not supposed to be there my Weimaraner would attack way before my shepherd. Weimaraners are not on the list.
    current pert

Apr 4, 2013, 07:31 AM
    'These banned dogs lists are a joke... Weimaraners are not on the list.'

My favorite saying is 'Life's a gag, laugh or choke.'
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 09:34 AM
    What is this 'list' that you mention.

Apr 4, 2013, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    What is this 'list' that you mention.?
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/cateyhill/2012/05/30/11-riskiest-dog-breeds-for-homeowners-and-renters/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Covering letter for company profile? [ 0 Answers ]

We are shintec engineering india pvt limited , the following document submit for your reference Thanking you With best regards Chandru

Health insurance covering pre-existing conditions india [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is suffering with heart disease, is there any insurance policy that covers this disease.

Covering letter for company profile [ 1 Answers ]

Covering letter for company profile

How do I write a covering letter for a proposal to be sent to a client company [ 14 Answers ]

I want to write a covering letter for sending a proposal to a client company in HR Department... How do I go on with it?? //

View more questions Search