Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tisha4rob4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Rude and annoying neighbors
    Good evening there. We just moved into our farm house about 5 months ago and we are actually ready to move again due to our rude and annoying neighbors. We live on a pretty isolated farm and the neighbors are the only ones within miles of us. They and their bad little children just come over at least 2 times everyday. They have never called to even see if we were home, just came right over. Now the neighbors tell us that they go through our mailbox and our mail in search of a missing letter they haven't received and want to see if the post man delivered it to us instead?!

The entire family of 5 is so obnoxious and demanding. I am to the point that I have to purchase extra food when I go grocery shopping because I know they will send messages through their kids to "borrow" items and even money, which they have never returned.

I have to admit that I am pretty nervous about confronting them with these issues as the family is mentally unstable and they have guns in their home. This makes me even more nervous because the mother and son have bad anger problems. When I tellthe neighbor children that my children can't play, they throw rocks and kick my house.

I am at the point of packing in the middle of the night and leaving. We try to close the curtains and keep the lights off but they just bang on the door harder. I know a big problem is being afraid of what their family would do to us. Most of the family has been in jail, on drugs or both. They watch for my car when I come back from shopping and come over. They are here first thing in the morning and one time I fell asleep at 3am at the kitchen table "talking" to her. They won't leave us alone.

I appreciate your help!
    :eek:
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 21, 2007, 09:57 AM
    You just have to refuse. You can build a metal gate around, you can have it electrified as well. This is not agaist the law unless you do not post signs stating it is. You can also seek a restraining order and get to know your postman and police dept. You can also open a post box at the post office. It will be secure there and will not be very expenses. Usually 50-60 a year.

Good luck to you...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Talk to the mailman, see if you can get a locked mailbox. If not, get cameras to monitor the mailbox. Going into someone's mailbox is a FEDERAL offense. As to the coming over. Get a chain for you door and don't open it fully. If they come over tell them, "now is not a good time for, please call first". Don't let them in.

If they start throwing rocks, again having cameras will record that and you can go to the police.

If you move, you will lose out because you will have a problem selling the house.

You might have a cause of action against the previous owner if the problems of the neighbors was not disclosed.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 21, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Get a locking mailbox. Also, they have found you to be a free source of food - start collecting on things. "I just came by to get my garden shears, and I need $1.25 for that box of pasta so I can replace it today when I go to the store". Everyone hates bill collectors and I would guess they will stop borrowing if they know that the collector is outside.

You can do the same with the children. When they come to the door, you can let them know, "Oh, the kids can't play right now but I'm so glad you stopped by. I'm short on sugar and your mother owes me a cup. Would you please go ask her if she can send it back?" My guess is they won't come back, that night or any other time soon.

If the problem continues, moving is a good idea. It's not worth it. The objective is for them to decide they want to avoid you. Whenever you see them, remember something they owe you - Oh, John - great, you're home! I just need to grab that rake you borrowed. Pick a time when they are really busy and it's a major pain in the neck to get it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 03:04 PM
    They make rual mail boxes where the postman drops the mail in, but it goes down and can not get it back out, ( get it out the back with key)

I will say at least in this rual area the mail people do leave mail in the wrong box all the time, I get someone else's mail at least 3 times a week, and who knows where or if I ever get all my mail. Most people drive around about once a week putting mail back in others boxes or bring it to your house.

As for as borrowing things, just say no, tell them now is not a good time and just shut the door.
    Lillian42 Posts: 83, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 08:22 PM
    When there kids come over tell them your children are being punished for being bad and cannot have friends over also you could say one if them is very sick and you don't want them to catch it.
    Messing with your mail is a federal offense, call the police talk to the post office and get a post office box or a mail box that locks. Tell your neighbors they cannot go threw your mail that it is yours and if you get their mail you will return I t.
    If they come over to borrow food tell them you don't have it, or you are having some hard times and cannot afford to lend things out.
    Bottom line you need to get a back bone and make changes if you need help contact the police but up trespassing signs and if they do cross that's against the law and that will take care of your problem is might be mean but your life will be much better.
    kimberlyntony Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Jul 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Omg, this sounds like the start of a horror film... lock your doors and pull your shades...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Annoying Neighbors! [ 27 Answers ]

Ok, at first my husband thought it was my imagination. My neighbors that live right next door do exactly as I do every year! The curtains, I get hardwood floors, they get it a week later, same wreaths at christmas, this week I put out certain topiaries a certain way on the porch then they go and...

We have annoying neighbors [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first time using this site so hello:) , My problem is I have very annoying neighbors:mad: , it started when we first moved into our new house, we had only been in the house for two days and that's when they first came over to say hi, well that's when it started there kids were...

Annoying neighbors [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lab/pit mix that is 2yrs old. She is a very friendly dog, she stays in a fenced in yard during the day while myself and my husband are at work. Last week, we had this new couple move in next door. And now everyday when we get home there are new "toys" in our yard. So they keep throwing...

Rude lawyer [ 15 Answers ]

Okay, I got into a car accident a little while ago and had a lawyer who told me I could fire him at any time, now he is coming at me saying I owe him 1,100 dollars. I fired him because this happened in march and in oct I still had not heard back from him, I left message after message. When I told...

Rude Neighbors [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I have neighbors who continuously invite themselves over to gatherings I have at my house, or gatherings my neighbors have (where we've been invited). This has been going on for 2-3 years now! We've just become close to neighbors on the other side of their house, and if we're over there,...

View more questions Search