Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrDestiny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 06:15 PM
    I can't connect to the internet with my switch and cable modem
    I just bought a 3com 8port switch for my 5 pc's and my LAN works fine.
    I used to have a 4 port wireless cable router before I bought the switch.
    I give the router to my brother (in case you guys ask where is the router now).
    I connect the cable modem to the switch to see if any of the PC can go online/internet but it didn't work.

Can anyone here help me what to do without making 1 computer as a server or I have to have 1 computer for server so I can get on the internet with the rest of the pc's.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 22, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Should have kept your old router cause you need something to act as a router. Your 3COM switch can't do that.

So your other option is to have a dual NIC PC. One NIC connect to the cable modem and the other to the switch where the rest of your PC's resit. Then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dual NIC PC.

I personally don't recommend you do that at all as your PC will be Internet facing and exposed to the elements. Your best option is to get a router. There are many options and they're all relatively inexpensive.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CABLE and Modem Router [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my buddys has a cable modem which she connects to the internet with, its got one USB and one ethernet port on the modem. Ive only seen t he modem through webcam so I couldn't play around, we were NOT able to connect 2 machines one through usb and the other through ethernet. The cable...

How can I connect my second PC which has only dialup modem to my other PC. [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard that a hub could do it and it wouldn't even have to use the dialup modem. The second PC doesn't have an ethernet card. My first PC does, and I have a dsl connection. I would like to be able to access files on my first PC from my second PC. Yes, my second PC has usb ports, but I...

Connect to an intranet through DSL modem [ 6 Answers ]

I need to connect a computer at a distance of about 2km(along an existing line) with a LAN(Intranet) for the purpose of accessing database files on the LAN. An existing telephone line ckt for the distance (with or without an EPABX in between) is available. The LAN runs Windows Server 2003 and...

Cable Modem [ 8 Answers ]

Can a cable modem be connected to any wall jack that a TV works in any room? Or does the Cable modem need to be isolated back to the coax coming in from the street and a special splitter needed. Thanks

Cable Modem / IP settings problem [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone. Perhaps someone wouldn't mind assisting me. My problem is that my internet has quit working on my computer. It worked fine until I unplugged the ethernet cable from it and then after that it was always "acquiring network address" then it says "Limited or no connectivity" My modem is...

View more questions Search