Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curioused Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2013, 09:18 PM
    What are the tax implications of a 1099-A if box 5 was not checked
    I received a 1099-A for a rental foreclosure in AZ (a non-deficiency state). I have the original sales date and price (233,000 in Aug of 2006). Box 2 of the 1099-A is 176,011.00 (the loan outstanding balance) and box 4 was 101,000.00 (FMV). Also, box 5 was not checked. What are my tax liablities and how do I enter it on my tax forms (using turbo tax deluxe)? Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 10:23 PM
    You should NOT be doing this yourself on TurboTax.

RUN to the nearest tax professional who has experience these types of issues and get your return done by him/her. It may cost you several hundreds in fees, but that professional COULD save you thousands
    curioused Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2013, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You should NOT be doing this yourself on TurboTax.

RUN to the nearest tax professional who has experience these types of issues and get your return done by him/her. It may cost you several hundreds in fees, but that professional COULD save you thousands
    Thank you sir... I suspect you're right but I still want to attempt this at least and perhaps then give it to a professional. What a shame our code is so complicated that not even a college educated, turbo tax using, relatively intelligent individual can't produce an answer...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 11:30 PM
    There are special provisions in the tax code about the Form 1099-A which must be considered. Not all tax professional are aware of them, so ask questions of the tax pro you select to make sure he has a clue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I deduct business expenses if given a 1099 misc, with box other income checked [ 1 Answers ]

I have been doing my own business taxes for over 25 years.. This year has me rattled... I filed a form SS-8 for the IRS to determine my employment status. Employee vs. Independent Contractor, I have not received a decision yet. So I will file form 8919 to pay just my share of Social security... I...

Kenmore dryer 600 has no power... yes we checked the breaker box. [ 6 Answers ]

Our dryer is less than two years old and was running fine up until last night. My husband went to put in a load and it was dark inside, the light didn't come on. When he pushed the start button, nothing. We checked the breaker box and reset that switch. Does the dryer itself have a reset button...

1099 schedule C due to short sale implications [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of short saling our home. We have been told we will receive a 1099 schedule C from the lender after the sale. What will this mean when we file our taxes next year?

Are there tax or financial implications to the issuer of a 1099? Thank you. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in California. I did some work for my father last fall, on his house in Nevada. I was compensated for that work for $2000, plus the airfare. I need to reflect that income as 1099 income from him. If he issues me a 1099 for that income what must he do on his end, if anything, to...

Tax implications of 1099 income [ 1 Answers ]

My son has had a paper route for the past 2 years and the income has always reported on his SSN as 1099 income. The newpaper company is changing policies and will no longer hire minors. If I put the route in my name and receive a 1099 for the income and the issue a 1099 to my son paying him the...

View more questions Search